Forums Latest Members

Happy with Speedmasters, But Feelings About Rolex Daytona's? A Joy To Own?

1. persco Oct 31, 2014

This is just awesome. I wonder why Rolex doesn't make the newer Daytonas with the black bezel? I much prefer it to the silver bezels. This is exactly what I'd want in a watch... except the current price tag for one like this.

pitpro likes this.
  2. roach7 Oct 31, 2014

+1 I'd much prefer the black bezel compared to the silver. And since the price for a vintage Daytona is beyond me, I'll have to live with my 'poor man's Daytona' Big Blocks

pitpro likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2014

Thats a big reason why I prefer vintage Speedmasters, the value is so much better for a watch that's a more modern size with a more impressive history.

persco likes this.
  4. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2014

This one, which I tried on last winter in the Rolex boutique in Chicago, was actually quite amazing to see. I realize it looks rather blingy in this stock photo, so you've got to trust me.

Rolex Daytona 116528 gold black dial.jpg
  5. roach7 Oct 31, 2014

+1 You're absolutely right, I'm going to start hunting down some vintage Speedies! Thanks for the nudge :thumbsup:

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2014

No no no, keep hunting Daytonas, I still have some 321s left to buy yet

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2014

My favourite by far is the 18K rose gold 116505 with black dial and concentric rose gold subdials, I tried one on and it just looked perfect, the subdials catch the light so beautifully and the tone of rose gold Rolex use is just stunning, its such an intense rose colour. I actually felt disappointed putting my stainless one back on afterwards, Australian price was $43,000 or something though which was a bit eye watering compared to the stainless, especially the ~$6500 USD I paid for mine.

And yes, pitpro its the same one exactly Paris was wearing but I'm cool with that, she can keep it warm for me :)

[​IMG]

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 31, 2014

Daytona - understated class and elegance...

[​IMG]

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2014

That was my number #3 option behind the rainbow bezel ;)

10. pitpro Likes the game. Oct 31, 2014

OK, mine's coming out of the safe Monday.
    Time to wear for a while again.

11. pitpro Likes the game. Oct 31, 2014

Personally, I think the 16520 S, T, Or U serial
    Black dial is still a great value. El Premiero
    movement and Tropical subdial rings.
    It even has it's own nickname. "Patrizzi"
    Can't beat that for $10k

MikiJ likes this.
  12. roach7 Oct 31, 2014

Pix if you have one :thumbsup:

13. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Oct 31, 2014

Monetary issues aside, hype aside, girly issues (personally I like when women pick up quality watches - do not see it as a problem - It is a bigger problem if they want a crappy watch) aside.

I have two Daytonas (16520 and 16518) and a Speedyorite. Have had at least three "ordinary" Speedy Pro: s earlier. The mentioned watches are all very capable. If you want a chronograph for everyday use they are all fine. Bought second hand they are all cheap in the way that you can use them, enjoy them and then likely sell them for the same as you bought them for. Go for the one you like the most - design wise. Technically they are as good - with the Daytona being more water resistance as the only real plus.

If you forced me to choose only one (of - sort of - readily available chronographs). I would go for a Flightmaster... (a totally undervalued watch) A watch you are not likely to see many of - walking around town. Plenty of spare parts, space program history, etc, etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

persco and pitpro like this.
  14. pitpro Likes the game. Oct 31, 2014

Dont own one. Hunted for a long time,
    but never pulled the trigger.
    but here's one to look at
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Dayto...nith-Mov-T-Serial-Just-Serviced-/321521221113Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

15. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Oct 31, 2014

[​IMG]

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2014

This was the only reasonable solution I managed to find for the Daytona vs Zenith Daytona vs Speedmaster problem.

OF2_2303_DxO2.jpg

Gavin, persco, Alex_TA and 3 others like this.
  17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 8, 2014

Daytona is an Icon, if you have one, you will always feel good about it, if yo don't, you will never quite feel ok with it unless you have some sort of Psychological block about it. I don't like what Rolex has come to represent, from a superb tool watch it is now a watch brand for tools. You see more Rolex's than anything else on a meat packing restaurant in New York in a weekend. From the Jersey Shore to California having a Rolex, much like a Porsche has become a status symbol. I hate that, BUT, There area coupe of Rolex watches that would make me salivate. a vintage Daytona, a Vintage Submariner 5512 (Yes, I'm a Steve M fan) a good classic explorer. No gold, no bling, just a good Rolex. I chose Omega over Rolex for my collection because when I wear Omega I feel like I'm wearing a great watch, not a brand. But I know a Rolex will find it's way back to my collection when the right one comes along.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 8, 2014

For me it's not about "not having one" or having a "psychological block"...I just don't like the design (I think the modern Daytona is plain ugly personally - I hate the sub-dials, shiny bezel, engraved rehaut, etc. etc.). I like the vintage Daytona much more than modern, but that is true with virtually all Rolex models - none of their modern watches appeal to me in the slightest. That is why I'm wearing this today:

[​IMG]

To be fair, not too many modern Omegas appeal to me either, but there are a couple I like.

But the bottom line is I'd rather have a nice early Speedmaster than a Daytona. :)

Cheers, Al

Gavin, dsio, MikiJ and 2 others like this.
  19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 8, 2014

Yes, perhaps I overstate my case a bit. But I agree, the modern Daytona's are a little too much of a circus act. Vintage is the way to go. Great watch on the pi by the way.

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 8, 2014

The 1680 is definitely worth having too, definitely agree on that point, especially with the big original style extra tall top-hat crystal, the new beveled crystals aren't anywhere near as nice as the old school ones.

[​IMG]

Gavin likes this.