Forums Latest Members
  1. shoota70 Jan 13, 2015

hi - couple questions....

With the crown being on the left I sm a little confused. With the crown in my right hand and looking at the dial, do I wind up or down?

Secondly, is it normal for the wind in the cal 11 to feel scratchy and not smooth at all?

Thank you.

2. redpcar Jan 13, 2015

I have a few Heuers with the movement. It winds toward you. To start the watch, I simply flip it over and wind it like a regular watch ;-)
    Scratchy is a strong word. I call it "notchy". Definitely a special feel like few others. Movement is strong and will give you good reliable use.

3. shoota70 Jan 14, 2015

Thanks Red....

When you say "flip it over" - you mean put the crown on the right and dial up when looking at it?

4. Georgieboy58 Jan 14, 2015

I think that's what he meant.
    Just pulled out my '69 Breitling Chronomat and must admit you're right, winding feels a bit scratchy.
    I usually give my automatics a few shakes so they start and not manually wind them, I am nervous enough that they are correctly wound by me wearing them.

5. shoota70 Jan 14, 2015

Thanks George - I don't usually wind my autos either, but when looking at this one to purchase I gave it a test wind and it was scratchy. The owner said it is sposed to feel that way but what else is he gonna say?

6. redpcar Jan 14, 2015

The winding doesn't bother me much. On the Cal 11's the friggin' stems pull out when I set the time. Not every time but more than any other watch I have ever owned. DOINK! Stem in hand. Dang.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 14, 2015

So is my Gruen with a cal. 12. I actually thought it needed service until I showed it to a watchmaker and he said, "they're all like that".

Nice watch! :thumbsup:
    gatorcpa