Forums Latest Members
  1. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 6, 2014

Have a couple of requests from Lou and LarryG for a review on my Habring Chrono COS, so I will attempt to do a short one here. For those who do not know, this watch is made by an independent watchmaker, Richard Habring, who with his wife, operates a small independent manufacture making 80 watches a year over 8 different models. Some trivial bits about the man. He joined IWCin 1990 for his speciality in the tourbillon. He was the main force in developing the IWC Doppelchronograph, making it less costly to make a rattrapante and helping mere mortals like me to be able to own one, though I don't. His other achievement was to develop the first depth meter in a wristwatch which launced the IWC Deep One. Back to my watch.

At first glance, it does look like a chronograph but the lack of pushers made me think otherwise. I did some research and found myself drawn to its design. The chronograph is activated by turning the crown and COS stands for Crown Operation System. By eliminating the pushers, it reduces the chance of water entering the watch case. Turning the crown towards you will axtivate the chronograph; to stop it, simply turn the crown back to its original position. Turning the crown further back will reset the chronograph hand. For chronograph lovers, I feel this is an important watch.

Having own it for almost 2 years, it is a comfortable watch to wear despite its 42mm diameter. It's a little thick at approximately 10mm with its patented crown operation system but it is not top heavy so there's no real compromise of comfort. It is powered by an automatic A08COS but Habring can have the watch available on a manual calibre if the customer wishes. In fact you get to choose from a wide selection of dials and also hands to individual preferences. Most of their watches are in 42mm and also 36mm which may appeal to the vintage lovers. Movement finishing is not the best but you do get that you pay for. I am looking forward to add a couple of other Habrings, the Foudroyante(jumping seconds watch with subdial spinning at 1/8 of a second) and the new Doppelchronograph if I stop getting distracted by vintage finds. Hope I don't bore you and finishing this with a few pictures of my Chrono COS. Thanks for looking.

IMG_4343.JPG IMG_4359.JPG IMG_4363.JPG IMG_4350.JPG IMG_4370.JPG IMG_4372.JPG

pcdubc and SpikiSpikester like this.
  2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 6, 2014

Ah...this is a modern watch.... I thought it was a vintage NOS watch. Really it has vintage classic look all over it.
    Nice story.....

3. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Jan 6, 2014

Thanks for this Gavin. I think you chose quite well for the dial color; simply stunning. I have looked at the ZM and the COS ZM, as well as the doppel and will no doubt eventuallly own one. Like you, however, have to put this nasty vintage accumulating habit behind.
    Larry

4. ulackfocus Jan 6, 2014

BLACK & ORANGE rule!!!

5. danomar Jan 6, 2014

Puh-leeze! A 10mm thick chronograph? 10mm is delightfully thin! :)

Thanks for the write-up! Now I need to learn more...

6. ulackfocus Jan 6, 2014

Especially for a Valjoux 775x based watch. :thumbsup:

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 6, 2014

Very fine. Even though such a low output house, Habring has already established its look, which is classic, and the COS is a most interesting feature.

8. ulackfocus Jan 6, 2014

Gavin, you really should link us to their website. I'm missing a black & orange watch, and a manual wind 36 mm 2 register piece with nice water resistance would be cool to look into.

9. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 6, 2014

Here you go.

http://www.habring2.com/

Thanks again for your kind words on my first attempt at a review.