Forums Latest Members
  1. stonechild Nov 26, 2014

This is what I woke to this am, how about you guys and gals? Needless to say, it's a long john day!

image.jpg
  2. Pvt-Public Nov 26, 2014

Ouch, and to think the Washington D.C. Area complains and all but shuts down if it reaches 17F. Throw in a little precip. And the whole place goes to hell!

3. peatnick Nov 26, 2014

0845 sunrise, does it stay dark until 1010 on christmas?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 26, 2014

Last week here below, maybe we could meet in the middle?

Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 11.28.47 am.png

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 26, 2014

Meeting in the middle may not be enough :thumbsdown:

6.jpg

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 26, 2014

So you've got Prince Albert in a freezer then?

Usually it's a can. ::rimshot::

TLIGuy likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 26, 2014

October last year I went to a cold climate for the first time and met Robert-Jan and Ben Clymer at the airport in Amsterdam, both those guys had really warm looking jackets and scarfs and sweaters and I went for the Australian cold weather attire, polo shirt and jeans.

I think once we got outside, RJ could hear my teeth chattering all the way to the car. Always easy to pick the Australian in a cold country.

cristos71 likes this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 26, 2014

Why do I picture Canadian Trev laughing his ass off the whole time you were gone.:p

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 26, 2014

Had a former team mate that came from PA - he was a little off - now I know why...

10. stonechild Nov 26, 2014

What sport?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 26, 2014

Well, look at my username and that will be a big clue. ;)

BTW nice to see yet another Canuck on here, eh?

Who are you cheering for in the Grey Cup? For me it will be the Stamps...not because I'm a fan but because they aren't Hamilton! Sorry if any TiCat fans are on here...

12. stonechild Nov 26, 2014

Humm, David Dalziel?

Yeah, im with you on the stamps, for pretty much the same reason. Lol. My Riders had a rough year, ah well.

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 27, 2014

Just took this footage from the Brisbane CBD today, 31C then a snap super storm smashes windows through the city, destroys cars, floods train stations brings down trees, strips all the leaves and decoration off the big department store Xmas tree. British couple were freaking out going "Does this happen here?!? Is this a cyclone?!"

Kingston likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 27, 2014

Yes that's him - do you know him or know of him? He is quite the character - in the few years I knew him he nearly died twice - one canoe accident (where one of his friends actually did die) and once he crashed his car after he had a burst appendix. He was in great shape physically, and that saved his life both times I suspect.

First met in 1998 I think, and he moved to Toronto to live with our mutual coach (who has coached every Canadian Olympic team since 1996 in Atlanta) and we did a lot of travelling together. Started that year making trips to the National Archery Center in Montreal (Claude Robillard Center) where we trained with a coach there and were able to shoot up to 90 meters indoors. That was in preparation for an event we went to in Havana, Cuba...

Coach Gary on the left, then my buddy Shawn, then Dave, and I'm on the far right - we all (except Gary) dyed our hair blonde before the event in a night of binge drinking and team building! Ah those were the days!

[​IMG]

We won silver in the team event - I'm at the blue arrow, and Dave is on my right, with Shawn on the end.

[​IMG]

That was in March of 1999, and that summer we did a lot of events together - after that we were off to shoot the Arizona State Champs in Tucson, then the following weekend the Arizona Cup (large international event), and the week after that the Texas Shootout, which was in College Station that year since it was being hosted by Texas A&M. Shot from that - I'm in the middle of the photo waiting to shoot while shooting a head to head match against what was then a current Olympic gold medalist from the US - Rod White...he is on my left at full draw. Dave is actually on the far left in this photo:

[​IMG]

After that the Gold Cup in NJ in May, then some events here in Ontario in June, then Canadian champs in July in Edmonton, then US National Championships in August (I think in Ohio that year, or Michigan - can't recall for sure), and then the last event of the outdoor season was in Columbus, Ohio. Of course we saw each other through the indoor season as well...

Then the next summer we did most of that all over again - we were all trying to shoot Olympic qualifying scores for Sydney 2000. Dave and one other archer did it, and Dave shot in the 2000 Olympic trials to get the one spot that Canada had for our sport at those Games. I was the announcer for those 3 day trials. Dave lost, ended up being the alternate for the Olympics, and took it quite hard - he continued to shoot for a couple of years after that, but was never quite the same after losing the trials. I know he had a lot of support from the people in PA during his run at making the Olympic team.

His younger brother was a pretty good beach volleyball player, and made the Canada Games one year when they were not far from us, so Dave's parents drove to Ontario from PA and stayed with us for a week or so while their other son was competing.

Dave and I had a lot of great times, roomed together a lot, drove together a lot, but he sort of drifted away from the sport and moved back West to Alberta - I think working in the oil patch with his own electrical business.

Anyway, from his descriptions, PA sounds like a very interesting place to say the least!

Cheers, Al

CdnWatchDoc and blackwatch like this.
  15. alam Nov 27, 2014

Thank God for global warming!

16. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Nov 27, 2014

I see you were "sheltering" in a bar Ash. Just in case, here's your city's Christmas tree from last year:
    Brisvegas Xmas Tree.jpg

17. stonechild Nov 27, 2014

Wow- that's quite the nasty storm. I guess it could always be worse, though be it not much worse than our artic deep freeze!

18. rhetoric Nov 27, 2014

That was great! Thanks, Ash. Nothing like that ever happens down here in Hobart.:)

19. stonechild Nov 27, 2014

Archer- that's very- very cool. Thanks for the history and the pictures. I know David, I played volley ball with his brother, Dennis and I know his parents well. I have not seen them for a long time, I believe his mother Donna passed away. 7 degrees of separation, is that what they say? Lol- small world.
    Cheers, Jay.

20. CdnWatchDoc Nov 27, 2014

Well, let me pipe in here today...Winnipeg was just might bit colder (with windchill) at -36 C. Even my car was unhappy, and it lives in the garage (unheated)! But it did get very nice and sunny here! And as Trev knows, we are known for the .... Dry Cold!

Man, Jay and Al connect via 2 degrees of separation across the internet...talk about small world!!