Forums Latest Members

Gold Prices - Watch Prices

1. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Nov 25, 2014

Hey Guys,

I have been away from watch collecting for 15 years and have experienced a relapse.

Can you talk to me about the prices of watches as related to the price of gold? Obviously, gold is off its high and trading around $1200/oz. at present.

Thanks for the replies.

2. Baco Noir Nov 25, 2014

In my past, when looking at precious metal pieces, I've seen that the amount of gold in the piece does not equate to the increase in MSRP over the SS versions and they also (in general) seem to depreciate at a higher rate than the same models in SS.

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 25, 2014

This is actually a topic that is of real interest to me, though not quite in the sense that you mean it.

First, to speak directly to your question, I haven't seen any taut correlation between the price of gold and the price of vintage gold watches over the past several years. Once gold went over $1000, there were plenty of people who were scrapping cases, and I don't believe that even a much higher price (i.e. $1900) made a big difference. The same has been true, generally speaking, of the valuations of vintage gold watches, as their values tend to be higher than that of the gold content in most cases (pun intended).

However, I strongly believe that this will be changing in the not too distant future. Without getting off on an economics tangent, I am certain that the price of gold is currently (artificially) low, and that it will rise significantly. There is a major economic storm on the near-horizon, and gold will be major beneficiary of the fear and carnage that will follow. I full expect that 18k vintage watches will also rise considerably in value as a result. Sadly, many more cases will be scrapped, as well.

Regards,

Tony C.

Edited Nov 26, 2014
    Spacefruit likes this.