Forums Latest Members

Gold and steel. Do you match your wedding ring with your watch?

1. MarcelGuinchard Feb 26, 2015

Hi all,

I am in an ongoing quest for my first vintage watch. I have focused on a gold watch, because my wedding ring is in yellow gold and both my wife and a few friends say it is preferable not to mix metals.

However, I see many people with a gold ring and a steel watch.

Is the metal matching idea something totally strange or does it make sense?

Thanks,

M.

2. Hijak Feb 26, 2015

Most of my watches are steel and my ring is gold...I do try to match my leather watch straps, belt and shoes though.

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 26, 2015

I have both a gold and a platinum wedding band... Original and anniversary special edition. :D

I wear one or the other depending on my whim and don't worry about trying to match with a watch.

tpatta likes this.
  4. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Feb 26, 2015

Being left handed and wearing watch on my right arm it's not an issue for me. I don't see a problem mixing metals. If anyone says anything to you, tell them to buy you a 14 or 18kt watch to match your wedding band. Might make a good "What not to Wear" show. ;)

Darlinboy likes this.
  5. Hijak Feb 26, 2015

Next year is our 20th anniversary and I'll do platinum anniversary special edition wedding bands...thanks for a great idea DB!

Darlinboy likes this.
  6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 26, 2015

Hmm... I've got a whitish one but I think I'm going to need two more - yellow and rose.

UncleBuck likes this.
  7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 26, 2015

I must confess to taking my gold wedding ring off when I wear a silver watch.

Freud would point out that I obviously consider the watch to be an important fashion accessory, coordinating it with my cufflinks, buckles and tie-tack, with the strap matching my belt, shoes and gloves when appropriate.

I fight the ocd/anal battle continually and try not to fixate on Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune, now that Wapner is off-air.

I am not at peace with coordinating wedding rings yet, as only one was present at the ceremony 42 years ago ( as was my first Omega, the soccer timer!).

I'm undergoing extensive liquid therapy for all this and one day, hope to post on WRUW a silver and gold combo.

Would anyone wonder why I don't favor gold furniture in a ss case, or bi-color bracelets?

I am missing so much of the world!

Edited by a mod Jul 10, 2021
    MMMD likes this.
  8. OculusPrime Feb 26, 2015

I hate to be rude, but your wife and friends are wrong. Metals and metallic colors are neutrals; they can be matched with any other metal. Match if you want to. Don't match if you don't want to. It all depends on YOUR OWN style.

Edited Feb 26, 2015
  9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 26, 2015

White gold wedding band, would love to match it with the WG speedy LE, but they ain't cheap.

SpeedyWG.jpg
    I'd take a WG seamaster cal 751 any day of the week too.

IMG_20150226_220546_edit.png

Generally I don't wear gold unless it looks like steel so, easy to match. In fact, it takes no effort at all.

10. ulackfocus Feb 26, 2015

I have 2 wedding rings - one in yellowish rose gold and one in tungsten carbide to match stainless watches. I'll be getting a pink rose ring too since I have a few pink rose gold watches in the rotation.

Privateday7 likes this.
  11. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Feb 26, 2015

I'm certain this rule only applies to plumbing because of galvanic electrolysis.

Otherwise, I'm screwed

image.jpg
  12. ulackfocus Feb 26, 2015

You...... YOU...... YOU METAL MIXER!!!!! :eek: ::rant:

( :p )

13. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Feb 26, 2015

rofl,,, thanks! I finally feel like I'm part of the gang!

Akin to when I received my pledge name in college - "Buster Brown". You're American like me so I'll let you figure out where the name was derived from...

Hint: nothing to do with my shoes - it was the other "end" of me...

14. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Feb 27, 2015

I am wearing watches on the left and my small golden wedding ring in the right hand. So no need to care for the metals. The watches catch all the attention. Being married is another issue.

15. MarcelGuinchard Feb 27, 2015

Thanks for your numerous, ironical, honest or funny answers.
    It's a pleasure to spend time on this forum. I won't hesitate to post my next omni-metal or metal-mixing acquisition ;).

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 27, 2015

It doesn't affect me at all.

I stopped wearing rings the second I walked out of the safety film we were shown when I was a young aircraft mechanic in a fighter squadron.

That was many many years ago, but I'll never forget the lesson and have not worn a ring since.

If you are a hardy type, Google "de-glove injury" and you'll understand, I'll not describe it here in the interests of keeping keyboards clean.

watchme likes this.
  17. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Feb 27, 2015

Grease! Where's it!

18. flw history nerd Feb 27, 2015

I'm getting remarried this summer, and I chose a platinum wedding band for precisely this reason. I wear a gold signet ring on my right hand, so that won't match, but no big deal ...

19. MarcelGuinchard Feb 27, 2015

Ok, so a few people at least had the same question.
    Are there any other members here who prefer to match their ring with their watch?

20. alam Feb 27, 2015

Is there a daughter version of this watch? :coffee:

Screen shot 2015-02-27 at 10.12.05 PM.png