Forums Latest Members
  1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 2, 2013

This afternoon I window shopping in pre-owned watch shops. My attention hooked to this Gerald Genta Jumping Hour.

Gerald genta jump hour MR.jpg

Sorry for the phone picture low quality.
    It has a very attractive MOP guilloche dial and jumping hour mechanism.
    The cons factors are its smaller size (35mm) and the case feel very thick.

Any information and opinion on this watch?
    What would be their fair value?

Thanks,
    Herianto

2. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 2, 2013

My sports bi-retro says hello. IMO, the feature on the watch is not just the jumping hour. It is also the retrograde minute hand on yours and on mine, also the date hand/s. If you have handled the the watch, you will have noticed the minute hand does not make a full turn clockwise but when it reached 60 mark, it swings anti-clockwise back to 0. It was this feature that made me purchase the watch more than the jumping hour. The movement on mine is a Girard Perragaux calibre 3300 which is a trustworthy workhorse. It could be the same on yours. If it is not, I am quite certain it is still a GP movement.
    As you mentioned, the case is quite thick as there is an added module for the retrograde system on top on the GP calibre. My watch is in a titanium case but it is one of my heaviest watches. I was surprised when I first handled it as I had expected a lighter weight. However I think yours is a ladies model at 35mm. Mine is around 42/43mm. I may be wrong though.
    You have have reservations about servicing the watch after Bulgari bought over Gerald Genta who was in turn bought over by LVMH. LAst I heard, Bulgari will still be servicing the Genta watches so I guess no worries about that. I don't follow the preown prices of these watches so I can't advise much. Anyway here's a couple of pics of my Genta.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DaveK, nineoneone and Privateday7 like this.
  3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 3, 2013

Thanks Gavin for the info. If the watch was 42 mm I'll buy it right away. You are probably right that it is intended for ladies.
    Yours are more attractive with second and date function. The sapphire case back also a plus.
    As I remember, the one I looked only has hour and minute function. It also had solid case back. however the MOP dial is very nice..... It was offered at USD 2,800. What do you think?

Herianto

4. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 3, 2013

I think price is reasonable but not a bargain and you need to know that Genta watches are not the easiest to flip. If you think the 35mm is too small, I am sure your wife is more than happy wear that for you when you tire of it.:p

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 3, 2013

Well.......she prefer Rolex ladies vintage ::confused2:: and complication is not her cup of tea.........bling-bling is :whistling:

6. nineoneone Feb 8, 2013

I love that watch. Both different, big and heavy! All the things I love in a watch at the moment. Fantastic colour as well. How old is this watch? I need to look for one! How much is something like that likely to cost?

I have a couple of jump hours but they are tiny and 1920's and 1960/70's. Will dig them out and post pic's for your amusement, next to yours they will just look funny!

cheers
    javid

7. pongster Sep 8, 2020

My own Genta jump hour

image.jpg
  8. Evitzee Sep 8, 2020

When these watches were introduced in early 90's men's watches weren't as big as now so it is probably a man's watch. As I remember they came in two sizes, 36 and 34mm. I had the Mickey one like @pongster and they are quite desirable now. These have an ETA 2892 movement, reasonably finished but not high horology. If it was a Disney theme version $2800 would be good price, but not a great bargain for this version. I would pass.

Edited Sep 8, 2020
    pongster likes this.