Forums Latest Members

SOLD FS: Vintage 1940s Steel Longines Cal. 12.68N w/ Military-style BLACK Dial — SERVICED

1. tomvox1 Sep 19, 2014

Longines12.68NBlack-lng_edited-1.jpg
    Longines12.68NBlack-7_edited-1.jpg

Up for sale is this great looking WWII-era Longines in stainless steel 3-piece "Calatrava" case featuring a beautiful original military-style black dial with finely graduated gilt minute track and Arabic numerals. This great vintage Longines is in overall Excellent original condition and features the terrific in-house caliber 12.68N sweep seconds movement. It was recently fully overhauled by my NYC Master Watchmaker and so is running strong and guaranteed for 6-months of normal non-abusive use. All in all, at 33.5 mm this is a beautifully proportioned smaller watch with a rare black dial that wears wonderfully well on the wrist and a is really fine example of its era.

The asking price for this great Longines is $925 USD OBRO including fully insured FedEx worldwide shipping. Straight up Paypal is OK on this watch, as is Bank Wire. Other payment options upon application. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.
    Longines12.68NBlack-3_edited-1.jpg
    Longines12.68NBlack-1_edited-1.JPG Longines12.68NBlack-8_edited-1.jpg Longines12.68NBlack-2_edited-1.jpg Longines12.68NBlack-4_edited-1.jpg Longines12.68NBlack-bk_edited-1.jpg Longines12.68NBlack-move_edited-1.jpg Longines12.68NBlack-innrbk_edited-1.jpg Longines12.68NBlack-crwn_edited-1.jpg Longines12.68NBlack-sd_edited-1.jpg Longines12.68NBlack-5_edited-1.jpg Longines12.68NBlack-wrst_edited-1.jpg

CASE & BACK: Classic midsize 33.5mm wide (not including crown) x 40mm long x 11mm tall 3-piece steel "Calatrava" case with wide & thick press-on bezel and snap-in back, extremely similar to Patek Phillipe's famous case design. It doesn't look to me as if it has ever been polished, although the bezel shows what may be a non-factory satin finish, and the watch shows small nicks and wear marks. The back also has a visible shallow dent and minor scratches. Nonetheless, I rate the case as in Excellent original condition for a 70+-year-old watch. Outer caseback is dedication-free and while the inner case and back lip do show some very minor corrosion at their contact points, as is common on these non-screwed cases, the back snaps in quite firmly. It is stamped inside with all correct Longines nomenclature for a steel watch of the time.

DIAL & HANDS: Beautiful and Excellent condition original factory printed black dial with finely calibrated gilt minute track & full Arabic numerals and LONGINES printed in silver. Though I know of no military pedigree it is easy to imagine this dial was designed with sale to the armed forces in mind. The dial has aged to a matte finish and shows an even spotting throughout but has a wonderfully pure vintage style to it. Matte metal non-luminous hour and minute hands and sweep seconds are Excellent+.

CROWN: Correct (I believe) unsigned slim push-in base metal crown shows some slight brassing and sits flush to the case. It winds and pulls out to the time setting position, as it should.

CRYSTAL: Nicely domed acrylic crystal is most probably later but looks great and is nearly flawless, Near Mint.

MOVEMENT: Under the hood of this watch is the excellent in-house Longines cal. 12.68N manual wind movement featuring an early form of shock protection. The 6.46 million movement serial number dates the watch to circa 1942 from the best available information that I could find. The caliber number is present and mostly obscured beneath the balance assembly. Not only is it extremely well finished and handsome to look at but as stated above, this high grade movement was recently overhauled and so is keeping very good time with a strong power reserve. I guarantee it for normal, non-abusive use for 6 months.

BAND: This classic Longines comes on a really attractive 16mm oil-tanned chestnut colored leather strap. It is just past the break in phase with some wear but Excellent overall and has plenty of life left.

I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form.

This great 100% genuine vintage Longines is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund (less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer). This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
    T.
    [email protected]

2. tomvox1 Sep 19, 2014

ON HOLD.
    Best,
    T.

3. tomvox1 Sep 27, 2014

SOLD.
    Thanks, Omega Forums! :thumbsup:
    Best,
    T.