Forums Latest Members

First time Omega owner. Opinions welcomed along with some info

1. drillzzz Jul 17, 2014

Hey everyone, I’m sure you’ve seen a couple of my posts in the last few days. My name is Frank and I am a new owner to a vintage Omega watch. I have a few questions about the watch and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I was looking for a Seamaster or Constellation but I came across this one and bought it instead. However, it doesn’t have any markings. Just Omega with Automatic. It came with an aftermarket leather strap which I exchanged for the BOR. The seller said it was recently serviced and thus far it is keeping excellent time. I have no resources as to open the watch in order to see the movement for myself. Any information would be appreciated. I absolutely love it but I am open to hear anything anyone has to say. I do have a small window of refund if need be? Thanks everyone!

First of, what the heck is it?
    Is it real, perhaps not?
    Is it a redial?
    Is it the original crown?
    It may not say Seamaster but can I put a Seamaster case back on it and how do I find the right size? I love the logo.
    Would changing the hour and minute hand for a newer one reduce the value?

IMG_3847.jpg
    movement.jpg inside .jpg backside.jpg

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 18, 2014

Caliber 490 is the sub-seconds version of the 50x caliber, if I'm not mistaken. Produced in the mid- late-'50s in a number of Seasmaster and (like yours) non-waterproof models. There should be a serial number on the movement that can help close in on the date.

I can't tell you if the dial is original or not - someone else will chime in on that I'm sure - the caseback says waterproof, but no "Seamaster" signature on the dial?

drillzzz likes this.
  3. John R Smith Jul 18, 2014

Odd that there is no case reference number inside the back.

drillzzz likes this.
  4. Hijak Jul 18, 2014

Yes that is odd, the lack of a case reference.:cautious:

drillzzz likes this.
  5. simon Jul 19, 2014

Case back is IMHO not original

drillzzz likes this.
  6. mac_omega Jul 19, 2014

IMHO everything (except the crown) is legit with the watch...

drillzzz likes this.
  7. drillzzz Jul 19, 2014

Screen shot 2014-07-19 at 10.19.24 PM.png
  8. mac_omega Jul 19, 2014

No! Your dial has radium markers, so the hands should have too... keep as is or look out for better examples if you do not like the vintage look they have...
    Just my thoughts

drillzzz likes this.
  9. drillzzz Jul 20, 2014

I love anything vintage so it doesn’t bother me too much.