Forums Latest Members

First retail Omega purchase. Omega Speedmaster Professional

1. Lastatic Sep 22, 2014

Hello OF,
    i just left my local Authorized Omega dealer to drop off a vintage seamaster to get a service.
    while turning down job offers, and talking with the manager i fell in love with a Speedmaster Prossional.
    I have been consdering ordering an automatic Reduced 38mm Speedmaster off Ebay recently for somehwhere between 1200-1600 depending the auction, blah blah.
    Any ways the Speedmaster Proffesional Retailed for 4250 or 4500 i cant recall. they offered it to me at $3825.99 %20 percent down and 1 year layaway. it was a gorgeous watch. sat perfect on my wrist and just looked amazing. i dont mind spending extra but is the Professional any better in quality of case or bracelet or any of the chronograph functions? basically what i am trying to ask. is it worth the extra buck to get it brand new. or would you save the money and opt to put it towards another time piece. and the new automatic Speedmasters are out of the question as i do not like the two register dial and the new movement witht the Silicon hairspring puts it to close in price to the Speedmaster Profesional.
    so here i guess here is the simplified question. Brand-New Omega Speedmaster Professional for $3900 or USED Omega Automatic Speedmaster for $1500 which one would you choose?
    sorry i do not have pics or reference numbers.
    thank you for any 2 cents, input or advice as thats all i am looking for

2. repoman Sep 22, 2014

I'd opt for the Speedmaster Professional all day long and twice on Sunday.

Also, I think $3900 from an authorized dealer (AD) is pretty darn good. Can you buy a Speedmaster Pro cheaper? Yes you probably can, especially if you want to consider used - several sellers here on the Omega Forum can help you with that, but for me, its worth extra buying new from the AD. Good luck, and let us know what you choose to do.

Lastatic likes this.
  3. CdnWatchDoc Sep 22, 2014

That is a good price for a new Speedy Pro...and you get the comfort of knowing that it comes with the full warranty from an AD. I agree with repoman, you can get cheaper, but you take chances, and I personally don't like to do that with a new watch.
    If you are looking at "used", you have to factor in a service, plus any parts. And if you send it off to Bienne, they will charge plenty!! Personally, I'd go for a vintage Speedy Pro. It will cost a bit of money, but you will have a watch with better heritage (Moonwatch!), and likely more service options. Good Luck!

Lastatic likes this.
  4. serdal22 Sep 22, 2014

I agree with CdnWatchDoc and Repoman. I would prefer the new one.

Getting a new piece as the first owner is different.

Good luck with your decision.

Capt. Serdal

Lastatic likes this.
  5. pixels_poet Sep 22, 2014

You can buy a brand new one at much cheaper price. Only one single rule to buy online; look for a genuine seller and you will get a genuine watch. No vice versa.

Good luck.

Lastatic likes this.
  6. Lastatic Sep 23, 2014

I just sent my Seamaster 60m to Bienne i am a lil afraid of the quote there gonna give me. the service man at the AD and I guess between 7-800. I think i am probably gonna do it. i have some pretty big work lined up for this week and think ill be able to swing the 800-1000 or so to put down.
    and if I could afford the whole 3800 at once. I too would probably opt to buy it offline for a tad cheaper maybe save on taxes and what not. but they're letting me put it on layaway so that beats kicking out the pocket all at once. i figure before Christmas i will have it mostly paid for if not under my tree :cool: I think I know what to do, now. thanks guys!!! and yea.. a vintage would be nice, hell down right awesome but until next tax time i wont really be making the money to commit to a purchase like that. ::money::

7. Lastatic Sep 23, 2014

they were trying to tell me it was a good price... I was hoping they weren't poking my eyes out.

8. Lastatic Sep 23, 2014

ohhh talking about used watches! what do you think of Michael Schummer Reduced for around $1500 it matches my 60m so well that i almost couldnt pass it up. i love the red dial with the rally stripes around the edges. no box or papers just watch on SS band. and if i am not mistaken that one is an automatic

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2014

I would buy a mint Speedy pro from someone like Kringkily for less. He can get you new for less, just tell him what you want.

Lastatic likes this.
  10. Lastatic Sep 23, 2014

Nice! I just don't know that at this current moment in time i would feel comfortable spending 3-4000 all at once. the layaway is what i liked about the deal. I've gotten a few guns like that before at pawn shops that i couldn't "afford" to buy and i figured "what the hell" and do the same with the Speedmaster PRO. the Automatic Speedmaster on the other hand i don't mind purchasing second hand or used. Like I said I have seen ALOT of the automatics between the 1100-1600 dollar ranger. And that on the other hand I don't mind spending right now.

11. jeffgo888 Sep 23, 2014

I agree with all the Comments above. I have a speedy pro (new) just got it today and a smp ceramic...which I got new as well from Ad. My plan is to keep these pieces for years so for peace of mind...I got them new.

Lastatic likes this.
  12. Lastatic Sep 24, 2014

I have decided to go ahead with purchasing the Professional new from the AD. congrats on your new purchases sound like someone had a good day ;)

13. jeffgo888 Sep 24, 2014

Congratulations! !... wear it in good health. ...I think we both had a good day...

Lastatic likes this.