Forums Latest Members

Ed White Speedy fans...Plan your trip now....

1. TLIGuy Dec 17, 2014

http://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/outside-the-spacecraft/

Outside the Spacecraft: 50 Years of Extra-Vehicular Activity
    Open January 8, 2015 through June 8, 2015

Extra-vehicular activity, or EVA—working outside a spacecraft—changed the nature of human spaceflight. It made possible walking on the Moon, servicing the Hubble Space Telescope, and building the International Space Station. It remains crucial to our ongoing presence in space.

EVA requires a wearable spacecraft—the spacesuit—and specialized tools for astronauts to survive in the hazardous environment of space. Since the first space walks of Aleksei Leonov and Edward White in 1965, more than 200 astronauts and cosmonauts have amassed over 1,000 hours of EVA experience.

To commemorate the 50th anniversary of those first two ventures outside the spacecraft, this exhibition will present art, photography, artifacts, and personal accounts that relate the continuing story of EVA.

This exhibition is made possible through the generosity of NASA, National Air and Space Society, OMEGA, and United Technologies Corporation.

2. ashleysteadman Dec 19, 2014

Thanks for the heads up!

Unfortunately no such exhibitions happening here in Sydney, Australia :( the importance of space exploration is lost on people here (generalising of course).

If anyone gets along to this please get some photos happening(?)

Ash

TLIGuy likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 19, 2014

Nor in Brisbane sadly, would be a great thing to see. After buying the Gemini IV LE I bought a couple large prints of the pictures taken of Ed White floating on that first EVA, simply amazing shots which are also in the LE booklet that come with the watch.

4. Selbo Dec 19, 2014

I live in DC and plan to make it to the exhibit. I'll be sure to post some pictures for those interested.

5. Pvt-Public Dec 22, 2014

I'm just out side DC and will try to go see the exhibit.

6. TLIGuy Dec 23, 2014

I just received a note back from the curator of the exhibit yesterday regarding my watch related questions and she said "I think you will be very excited about what we will be showing." It will be interesting to see what watches show up to the party.

7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 24, 2014

whomever goes...pics WITH your own speedies as witness!!

ashleysteadman likes this.