Forums Latest Members

ebay Global Shipping Programme experiences

1. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Aug 24, 2014

I'd be grateful if UK members could share their experiences of using the Global Shipping Programme when buying from abroad on ebay.
    From what I can initially make out it seems like this will be the most expensive option of shipping as you have to pay for the pleasure of agents handling the customs charges for you.
    Thanks in advance
    Bill

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 24, 2014

I think you're right, their tracking is a bit weird too as its in-house. My understanding is really your freight is being handled by other companies, whether postal service, DHL, Fedex, whatever, and then eBay is rebranding their service and marking it up, taking a cut from it. So far I've been very unimpressed.

3. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Aug 24, 2014

Thanks dsio
    I will see if I can get the seller to use USPS or Express Mail Service which has been recommended here.
    I'm hoping the charges inc. customs don't prevent me from buying.
    Cheers

4. Dogmann Aug 24, 2014

Hi Mods,

You can count me also in the far from being impressed camp the prices it adds to the sale is way over the 20% import charges and normal shipping costs its actually bad enough for me to not even bother looking at the item for sale once I see it as its a total rip off IMHO. Although I hadn't thought of asking the seller if normal shipping is possible be interested to see if sellers would do that or think its some kind of scam and just say no.

Marc

5. billyblue Aug 25, 2014

Please read up in the net about Pitney Bowes, it's the US based company that does the work behind the scenes. I have really bad experience (shipment to Germany). You do not get a proper tax duty info, means that if you want to sell the watch later on or want to travel abroad you have nothing to show that you have paid the VAT on the item after importing it into the EU. This is a hoax, and I can not understand how it can be legal.

Also you have to pay overcharges as the others above have said. Always use something like FedEx.

6. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 25, 2014

The program is only good for the seller, as one does not have to worry about insuring watches internationally. The watches are sent to a service center in the U.S. and then become Ebay's responsibility.

7. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Aug 25, 2014

Thanks for all the responses.
    Seems like a bit of a double edged sword for the seller.
    Cheers.

8. dragoman Aug 25, 2014

Actually, from Spain it is no longer possible to buy anything on that programme. Whenever you try to bid, you are blocked by the system.

Not that I was impressed when it worked, mind you.

9. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 25, 2014

I just took delivery of a watch (from the US to Norway). The costs where not too bad compared to others but there are two key arguments against it. The up front payment made me (for once) actually pay taxes I usually manage to avoid, but that is not really the issue her.

1) It is slower than anything I used before (consider USPS normal delivery an express service in comparison),

2) The BIG scare: They re-pack all products prior to overseas shipping. In extent they removed all the nice padding the original sender had wrapped around my priced possession and left it floating UNPROTECTED(!!!) ::censored:: ::blowup:: in the box together with some shredded paper pieces.
    Actually when I opened the box I first thought it was all empty. Normally you expect to find a watch wrapped in some protection in the middle of the box, but here it was just lying floating together with the paper pieces...... ::weird::

NEVER AGAIN!!!

Dogmann and dragoman like this.
  10. msp1518 Aug 25, 2014

The repackaging issue is ridiculous. In my opinion it's criminal. As a seller I never EVER participate in eBay's scam. At this point I am pretty much a U.S. only seller. The cost, risks and annoyances with shipping overseas are no longer worth dealing with.

11. Dogmann Aug 25, 2014

Northernman

Thanks for the heads up on that about the re packing that alone is enough to make sure i don't ever weaken and consider using it as that really is shocking.

Marc

12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 25, 2014

I suppose they want to make sure the item is there before they assume responsibility for it. I can envision - and I'm sure eBay can too - a scam where you ship a box of air to your foreign confederate who then makes a claim against eBay and you split the proceeds. Thing is, if they undertake to repackage, they should at least do it appropriately.

13. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 26, 2014

They also do it in order to reduce volume and force whatever it is into standard sized boxes.
    If I ever bother to purchase anything from the US on eBay it will be without GSP handling for sure.