Forums Latest Members
  1. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 6, 2014

Just a country boy I know ;) but for me this is a first. Clearing out all the lesser pieces (junk) on the bay and one worth little more than a brass farthing has been purchased by what appears to be a shipping company. Google comes up along with all the good and bad reports some information which states that this company actually posts all the UK auctions on a site in Japan, accepts bids and then bulk ships the winners goods to Japan.
    Personally doesn't bother me one way or another given the low value of this piece but admit that no way would I want to end up selling a value item in this manner.
    As a point of interest has anyone else come across this buying method and how were your experiences ?
    I would add that I have had a couple of sales to most honourable buyers in Japan but without a third part involvement.

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 6, 2014

Interesting arbitrage model.

As a seller, it seems that eBay's increasingly buyer-biased policies could transfer the arbitrager's customer claims back to me.

I sell to them, they sell to a third party at a higher price. Third party claims them for shipping damage, they claim me....

How would eBay know and would they care?

3. bill5959 Nov 6, 2014

I'm curious. A lot of people sell on Ebay (duh), including some Honourable members here. Are people experiencing a high level of buyer BS? Whatever the situation, they (Ebay) have essentially a monopoly for the average Joe ( remember I am a recovering lawyer). Regards, bill

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 6, 2014

In high taxes, restrictive customs and unfriendly shipping companies country like mine, this third party service is thriving. I could ask the agent to bid on my behalf with agreed specified limit then if I won the agent will accept the package. Together with many other packages he will ship in bulk and somehow could over come customs and tax problem. We will get our package in the local agent station or he will arrange local shipping again.
    The fee is 5 percent of goods value plus shipping cost which very competitive. Cheaper than fedex on par with EMS.
    compare with 40 percent plus customs and tax for watch, this is actually a very attractive alternative.

Alpha likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 6, 2014

Australia post has just started similar for online from US with a US post address for $30. All sales go to a bond and are re sent by 3rd party to Aus.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 6, 2014

Done it a few times, real simple. Payment comes from buying agent via PayPal, package shipped to a processing center, US in my case, post tracking number to their website, receive immediate positive feedback.

They just ask that the item number be clearly be put on the outside of the package for processing on their end.

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 6, 2014

Problem may arise if there is return involves..... possible but might become more complex

8. roach7 Nov 6, 2014

Using a buying agent is the only way for many international buyers to purchase goods on eBay for those listings where sellers don't ship outside the USA. I personally have sold products to these agents without issue...

9. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 7, 2014

Live and learn, thank you guys.

10. bill5959 Nov 7, 2014

If you are the seller, how do you recognize the legitimacy of the buyer? It sounds like the agent would use its buyer ID. regards, Bill

11. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 7, 2014

Yes the buyer is the agent, as far as I am concerned my transaction is with the agent/buyer end of. Whoever the end buyer is I trust of no concern to me.

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 7, 2014

In my case we use the agent ebay id. I think he will quickly get enormous positive feedback that way.

13. bish789 Nov 8, 2014

Also bear in mind if they are collecting loads and shipping in bulk, it's likely they won't have time to process and return under the returns policy time limit, so tell them to get lost.

14. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 9, 2014

I like the way you think outside the box here. Alpha and you are onto a potential scam for sure...

15. TNTwatch Nov 10, 2014

Hmm, so you both want to forbid your buyer to flip what you sell to them?

16. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 17, 2014

Can't speak for DB but I wrote or thought nothing of the sort. I was writing out loud about the potential implications of ebaypaypal's further hostility and outright abuse towards sellers...

17. eustace Nov 17, 2014

[QUOTE="Privateday7, post: 197783, member: 1365".
    compare with 40 percent plus customs and tax for watch, this is actually a very attractive alternative.[/QUOTE]

Can you please explain the 40%???[​IMG]

18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 18, 2014

Can you please explain the 40%???[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    I don't have the table with me but it IIRC watch import is: 40% for import duty, 10% for VAT and sometimes another 15% for luxury goods tax.
    That's actually for watch importer with manufacturing price......not retail price. However the customs do not differentiate for used watch or one piece of watch just for consumption. They allowed it if you just hand carry it, but if you send it through courier then they'll just slap it to you.

Rolex package will got full 65% tax and duty. Lesser non gold known watch (which include Patek and Vacheron :)) will get between 40 to 50%.