Forums Latest Members

Do we have any "One Watch" members?

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 9, 2014

Just curious, how many members do we have here that own just one good watch (Not counting Invictas, flotsam or jetsam)?

2. Long71 Apr 9, 2014

No, but I sometimes wonder about liquidating everything for just one good piece - the problem is that I'm still quite short (even on good prices for the existing collection) having enough for a super-grail piece: eg Dufour Simplicity, KV Observatoire, DBL25, or 5070P.

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 9, 2014

For us who are not aware of these watches, photos????

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 9, 2014

I know a friend of mine who really looking for Dufour simplicity and simply declined by the company since the order has been closed. Many years ago.

I think this survey would be difficult to gain response (hopefully I am wrong), because: (1) the active participant usually has at least 2 or 3 watches before 'introduce' themselves, and (2) Not many members with only one watch will voluntarily declare themselves having only one watch. (3) Habit of people who had good or great watch simply has another ordinary watch for daily wearer, simply to protect that special watch to have special condition.
    Probably a better way to design this survey is to create open poll with multiple choice:
    Number of watch in collection
    (a) 1 watch
    (b) 2 watches
    (c) 3 watches
    (d) 4 to 5 watches
    (e) 6 to 9 watches
    (f) more than 10 watches

5. Long71 Apr 9, 2014

I don't own any of these wonders, so these are just google image results

5070P

5070P.png

De Bethune 25L
    DB-25L-1.jpg

Dufour Simplicity

dufour simplicity.jpg

Voutilainen Observatoire

kv observatoire.jpg

Dreaming is still allowed in this world, isn't it?

5070P.png
    Archer likes this.
  6. Spike Apr 9, 2014

I joined the forum just before Christmas looking for my first (and what would be my only), 'quality' watch that I would have ever owned in my entire life!

I was absolutely amazed at the numbers of members who had watches totalling into double figures and beyond...."why would you really need more than one good watch", I thought to myself.

Some 3 months on and 4 watches later, I'm hooked, 'obsessed' as my wife puts it.........maybe I should have listened when a certain 'mod' said to me, "watches are like potato chips, you can't just have one"...........

Als 27, Alpha and watchme like this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 9, 2014

Take out the PP, and that is a dream list I could get behind easily. I'll be honest that I don't desire very many PP watches, at least their modern watches.

I've never seen a De Bethune in person, but I generally like their styles.

Mr. Dufour simply makes the best timepieces IMO, period. I've spent time in his shop and he was free with information and answered pretty much any question I asked, and even gave me a demonstration of the his Côtes de Genève technique when I asked about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know a collector who was offered one of the first 100 run of the Simplicity and he declined. By the time the second run of 100 was announced the price had jumped by 50%, and he could not afford it. He was kicking himself at not taking the offer in the first run. They do not come up for sale often - I have only seen maybe 2 openly for sale.

Kari Voutilainen is also a master at finishing, and simply one of the nicest guys you will ever meet also.

Another maker I have met and like his work very much is Romain Gauthier.

http://www.romaingauthier.com/

Nearly bought a Prestige model when he first introduced them several years ago, and really like the Prestige HMS.

When you look at the watches these independents are making, it's hard to get too excited about the watches from the major brands generally.

Cheers, Al

citizenrich likes this.
  8. woodwkr2 Apr 9, 2014

Was not aware of Gauthier, thanks, Al. When did he come out with the Prestige? I wonder who inspired whom (re: Grand Lange 1).

Check this out, it's nuts. I want one to wear when I'm not on the bike!
    Edit: Too dang big. Can we please get back to the 39mm range, please?

Edit: a constant force mechanism for a watch with a 60 hour power reserve... hmmm seems totally superfluous. But soo pretty and unique.

Screen Shot 2014-04-09 at 8.49.44 AM.png

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 9, 2014

I like this forum. Anything could be a reason to hijack the thread :D

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 9, 2014

Yes that is a stunning piece, but I still like the Prestige line more, and it's more in line with reality in terms of pricing too. I think the Logical One is something like $150K.

Here is the model I was going to purchase:

[​IMG]

And it's a back wind watch also:

[​IMG]

Romain is not a traditional watchmaker, but started out as an engineer and ran some small production shops that made parts for the big makers. He decided to branch out on his own and sought Dufour's help and guidance, and it paid off.

Being an engineer also, we sort of clicked, and when I first met him in his shop it didn't take long to head to the computer to talk about his design ideas:

[​IMG]

He looks at things from the perspective of a non-watchmaker, so he thinks outside the box a little bit. It shows in some of the designs of specific parts in his watches, such as the escape wheel:

[​IMG]

And the pallet fork:

[​IMG]

I really like his designs a lot. Glad I could show you someone you haven't seen before - he does not get a ton of press in the mainstream watch media or on most collector web sites.

Cheers, Al

JimInOz, citizenrich and Long71 like this.
  11. woodwkr2 Apr 9, 2014

No, but he deserves it!

12. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 9, 2014

I have also thought about this, but then i think of how long it has taken me to find the NOS pieces and then i always decide against it!

13. speedbird Apr 10, 2014

I was a one watch guy for a year and a half after I liquidated my Rolex collection. it felt nice. I've decided I'm a two watch person. One Omega and One Rolex.

14. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 11, 2014

I only have one on my wrist at any one time. Other than that, about 50% of the collection are serviced and wearable at any one time - currently, that's 29 wearable watches ::shy::

SpikiSpikester and Privateday7 like this.
  15. MyVintageOmega Apr 12, 2014

I am not ashamed in the least to admit it. I own 1 watch which is my late fathers Vintage Omega Seamaster 300 and when I grow 2nd left wrist I shall seek another. AfS.jpg

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 12, 2014

If you're going to go one watch, a candlestick hand vintage SM300 is a remarkably nice way to do it

CdnWatchDoc and MyVintageOmega like this.