Forums Latest Members

DLC Coating coming off a DLC Rolex?

1. Sapientia Cordis Ev3rclear's Fake Second Account Mar 13, 2015

Email to store:

Hello,im writing regarding the Rolex Submariner DLC purchased on 09/23/2011 with Serial xxx Model Number 14060 with a five year warranty.

Diamond Like Coating is described to be one of the toughest materials on the planet. There are videos on the internet where DLCed Rolexes are scratched with a military knife and the coating does not come off. On your website its stated: "making it nearly impossible to remove once applied"

How come, that the DLC coating of the Rolex coming from your house comes apparently off? (the steel background appears) Please find the pictures attached, especially look closely at the Lug at 5 o'clock and also the buckle where the DLC is coming off, unfortunately.

Please find all necessary pictures (Warranty Card with Serial Number) attached.

How can this happen?

IMG_2011.jpg IMG_2006.jpg IMG_2007.jpg IMG_2008.jpg
  2. Sapientia Cordis Ev3rclear's Fake Second Account Mar 13, 2015

found the answer^^

That the problem of any coating, unfortunately [​IMG]

If it's a layer, then it can always peel of. No mater how scratch resistant it is.

DLC coating has a higher vickers hardness than 316L stainless steel (5 time harder), but the damages are more visible than on non coated steel. A dent, a scratch, however small it is, is always visible on a DLC steel, will nobody would notice them on a non coated steel.

The weakness of DLC is not the carbon layer itself, extremely durable, but the fact that it's only a thin layer, that can fracture and disconnect itself from the base material.

Another issue of DLC is that it's not easily repairable. Anyone can fix a little scratch on a brushed or polished stainless steel (with a dremel and polishing paste/compound), but damages on a DLC will require a very expensive re-coating. It can cost as much as the watch itself.

I'm interested in this thread having just received my new Ocean Black DLC and have been wondering about the durability of the coating. My understanding is that the "Diamond Like Coating", is applied by the "Physical Vapour Deposition" process and bonds to the surface of the metal at the molecular level; so it won't peel off, but of course it is an extremely thin coating and will wear off in time. It will be more resistant to light scratches but if knocked against a hard surface will still scratch and dent.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 13, 2015

There's no such thing as a DLC Rolex, they don't make one and never have. That means its aftermarket, as in someone did it to the watch.

4. lenny Mar 13, 2015

Yes, I just went the the website for Stein Diamonds (info from your warranty card). Hate to say it, but the work looks to be of very poor quality. You may want to consider buying a stock Rolex and have it coated by a reputable shop like IWW in North Carolina.

Edit : http://www.steindiamonds.com/DLC_PVD_Rolex/
    Hard to tell on my phone - is there a space between the yacht master lug and bracelet?

Edited Mar 13, 2015
  5. KIMBER Mar 13, 2015

^Now that is some bad news.

6. Aroma Mar 14, 2015

I have never seen a 14060 like that. Coatings like that can never be regarded as permanent - even with conventional electroplating, there comes a time when the base material shows through. I am saddened to see this on such a fine watch

7. c.capt Mar 16, 2015

That's not even a good DLC job, if it even is DLC. Looks more like black IP/PVD...

Even on a real quality DLC watch, the coating can come off. That's the problem with any sort of coating/layering.

8. c.capt Mar 16, 2015

That's not even a good DLC job, if it even is DLC. Looks more like black IP/PVD...

Even on a real quality DLC watch, the coating can come off. That's the problem with any sort of coating/layering.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 17, 2015

Just to clarify, PVD is not a coating, but a process (Physical Vapour Depostion). DLC is a coating that is applied by the PVD process (one of them - there are several types). Many different coatings are applied by PVD.

And yes, durability of the coating can be affected by the substrate material. If the material that is coated is soft, like stainless steel, the coating can come off when the material is damaged. Like paint popping off a car panel when dented...