Forums Latest Members

Complications for the budget conscious WIS

1. ulackfocus Jul 12, 2013

Want an alarm watch without shelling out big bucks? How about a power reserve meter on the dial of an automatic? Ooooo, a jump hour - yeah, that's the ticket! How about a simple calendar watch with pointer date and a day window?

Well, you should be looking into Benrus. For the cost of one nice JLC Memovox alarm bumper, you can have the whole lot mentioned above, in excellent condition, if you keep your eyes out for them.

Been sitting on a NOS case, dial, and crystal with one logo crown for over a year for a Wristalarm:

[​IMG]

Just found a suitable donor watch to cannibalize hands, the other matching crown, and working AS caliber:

[​IMG]

Without the service and assembly, I'm in $150. Not too expensive, eh?

Next project is a pointer date calendar:

[​IMG]

I'd like to find a really nice case. Don't need the dial since I have a NOS one, and even the movement can be junk as long as I can get one good one out of the newly purchased one and this one, although I think this one will work with a service. There's a whopping $87 sunk into this one IIRC.

Then there's a buddy in NY who decided he's going to part with a few of his watches from brands he doesn't collect. Two of them happen to be Benrus Dial-o-ramas (jump hours) in mint condition. I'll be making a run up north in a few weeks and bringing a few extra bucks with me because I know I'm coming home with one of them. Pics on arrival!

Lukeeesteve and Mothra like this.
  2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 12, 2013

Don't tell everyone!

3. ulackfocus Jul 12, 2013

Ahhh, nobody checks the complications forum. It's all "I want a Dive watch! Dive watch! Dive watch!" and Constellation Fever. Just a small percentage of watch guys bother with extra features past the date.

Hijak likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Jul 12, 2013

Didn't take long to find and make an accepted offer on a pointer date:

[​IMG]

There should be two nice calendar watches coming out of this union I hope.

5. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jul 13, 2013

Don't know why but I prefer modern to vintage when it concerns complications.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    21755-a6760b94e5f9e83474bf137d0ff7b34d.jpg

Mothra and NT931 like this.
  6. cvalue13 Aug 3, 2013

I know very little about the Genta's - is the blue one the arena bi-retro?

7. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Aug 4, 2013

Yes.