Forums Latest Members
  1. Argtv7 Jun 23, 2014

Mine has no additional numbers, and it's totally correct. I bought it in a second-hand store for peanuts, and they had no idea what it was. The dial is fabulous and original, and identical to the dials in the 1936 Hermes ads.

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 23, 2014

Enough talk, man! Let's see some pictures! We're all eager to see it

3. Argtv7 Jun 23, 2014

I suck as a photographer! The best I can do is in direct sunlight, and all kinds of stuff shows up that isn't otherwise there! I'm sure I'm not the first to discover how hard it is to take pictures of watches.....sigh.

So here it is. It looks way better than this. I bought it in a plastic bag of junk watches at a second-hand store (paid next-to-nothing). It had an awful 70s stretchy bracelet when I got it. (That, to me, speaks of correctness, as they had no idea what was in the bag). In my pic, you'll see crackly between 1:00 and 3:00. That's in the crystal, which I believe is original. Those crackles aren't visible otherwise. It has wire lugs. It has not been polished at all, and it keeps perfect time. Also got the original Hermes 1930s box!

Hermes.jpg
  4. Argtv7 Jun 23, 2014

And yes, signed "Fab. Suisse" at the bottom. The crystal has a bevel just outside of the bezel......you get it.

hermes16.jpg
  5. GeraldLui Jun 24, 2014

Yes UG looks nice on a NATO

Best Gerald

SDC11184.JPG
  6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 24, 2014

Most interesting. I don't think I've ever seen that script for 'Hermes' before. The case, while well-used, has preserved its shape reasonably well too. Certainly an amazing thrift shop find.

7. Noodia Jun 25, 2014

Thank you for chiming in with this interesting piece

I can't see the owl in the case back but the "Fab Suisse" engraving + printing demonstrates this one has been sold in France

Interesting to see such an oversize case was already available at the time, the mention found in the Antiquorum catalog - if correct - tended to say these were first delivered as Compur with a more common 34 mm case.

I can't tell much neither about the Hermes print, I'm no expert in these, but the rest of the dial looks original from here, so the whole watch.

To add a bit of the Hermes mystery, I've been offered that one recently

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and for some reasons, I did not find that one convincing, maybe I'm wrong ?

I remain a big fan of these tiny pushers cases though

martinc and Mark020 like this.
  8. Noodia Jun 25, 2014

Nice combo Gerald !

9. Argtv7 Jun 25, 2014

It's the same script seen in this 1936 ad, I believe.

yry6ytu4.jpg
    Woops and ELV web like this.
  10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 25, 2014

Very good spot, argtv7. I've seen that ad before and hadn't registered the script.

11. GeraldLui Jun 25, 2014

Thanks, complete different watch on a Nato

12. Argtv7 Jun 25, 2014

The owl assay mark is hard to photograph. But it looks like this one I found online, including the "X"

This is the text that accompanies the owl hallmark I found online:

"The owl hallmark depicted here is a French hallmark that was struck in jewelry in finished condition that were brought to be examined by the French assay office. Therefore one cannot be sure of the origin of a piece of jewelry with this hallmark. It has been used since 1893."

antique_jewelry_french_hallmark_owl_01.jpg owl.jpg
  13. Dre Sep 29, 2017

Seeing double with these Jeanneret cases, those faceted lugs ::love::

IMG_9656.JPG IMG_9655.JPG

Syrte, TexOmega, B.Frost and 5 others like this.