Forums Latest Members
  1. Noodia May 13, 2014

Although solid gold cases were widely produced by UG, I must reckon they've never been my primary hunting focus

until I found this one

[​IMG]

It seems this particular case type was launched in the 30s within the Compur range with the reference 12420 with a 34 mm diameter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The same case type was enlarged to a 37 mm diameter to become a Compax case ref 12510

[​IMG]

Serial 811XXX dates it from 1941/42

Powered by the larger 287 Cal.

[​IMG]

The inner case back shows the hammer head engraving number 166, a quick look at the Sala's book allows to learn this case has been made by Henri Jeanneret located at Peseux

[​IMG]

The striking detail to my eyes are these lugs I would call "faceted"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dial finish is silvered

[​IMG]

I love it at wrist,

in the classic way

[​IMG]

or with something more unusual

[​IMG]

Best,

Laurent

rbob99, Woops, TexOmega and 19 others like this.
  2. timeismoney May 13, 2014

That is very very nice, Noodia. i cut myself just looking at it.

3. PaulG Vintage Heuer Connoisseur May 14, 2014

Beautiful watch and equally beautiful photographs. Looks great on a green NATO. Only you could have thought of that.
    Now we all want one and a green NATO.
    regards
    Paul
    www.heuerworld.com

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 14, 2014

Please don't post things like this again.

There is a risk that you may sway me to UG (the "dark side").

;)

I think it's a bit late for me though!

5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 14, 2014

Very nice pick up! Those photos do it justice. :thumbsup:

6. woodwkr2 May 14, 2014

Wow, the condition on that watch is amazing. Nice find!

7. Noodia May 15, 2014

Thanks all for your kind words :)

Many collectors friends asked me if this one was an officer chronograph. I obviously do not have a clue, the NATO was a wink as the only answer I was able to provide, it'll be back on this one as the result was satisfying and a good way to enjoy the lugs

[​IMG]

Chrobar and ELV web like this.
  8. cell1010 May 16, 2014

As I told you many many times before, this is my absolute favorite UG. And you also know what my most prefered in your collection is ;-)

Enjoy it... I'm sure you will.

9. Noodia May 17, 2014

Thanks
    Thanks buddy, you know I tend to be a hard worker as it comes to enjoy watches

10. Hijak May 22, 2014

Those lugs, that dial....WOW!::love:: That is crazy nice, congrats.:thumbsup:

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 22, 2014

very fine example, as I have come to expect from you. This is one of those cases that all but the expert hand ruins promptly with polishing - there are many examples with sad, formless lugs, a few with the facets preserved, and this one, which stands alone.

Here's a smaller cousin, a Zenith time-only in a similar case with a nifty sandwich dial. It's interesting that it comes from the same casemaker - Henri Jeanneret of Peseux. I wonder if this was a "house specialty."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark020, Syrte, Rman and 3 others like this.
  12. Noodia May 22, 2014

Thanks to both of you

Lou, this Zenith is a remarkable piece, it retains what I believe to be the very original sketch of these cases with their flat bezel, condition on this one is outstanding, the sandwich dial is a terrific cherry on the cake. I assume this one is somewhere near 33/34 mm diameter ?
    The inner case back engraving is an interesting detail confirming these come from the same case maker.

Another Zenith "over-sized" case with the same lugs is shown in the Sala's book with ref 12517 but comes with another bezel type, perverting the purity of the original design IMO

[​IMG]
    Credit : Sala's book

[​IMG]
    Credit : Watchprosite

This is typically the kind of case where condition makes the watch, when this one landed, I had the feeling this was a scarce case type until I realized I crossed this one many time in Sala's book without noticing it were the same lugs, here with a thin bezel

[​IMG]
    Credit : Sala's book

A close look in the manufacture archives pictures allow to see many others case references with the same lugs.

Going further, I crossed others like this late split seconds Eberhard (unfortunately, no inner case back photo available)

[​IMG]
    Credit : vintagewatches.it

shown in this mid 60s brochure

[​IMG]
    Credit : Nicolas1960

There are others gold cases,

I've also found this interesting steel case IWC Cal.83 chronometer

[​IMG]

and to conclude these lugs type overview, the early Compur was advertised in the 90s Antiquorum UG auction catalog as having been made on special order from Hermes (notice the lugs are called "lapidated" here)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but this does not bring much IMO with the exception of a mystery or a questioning addendum for an auction...

The sole certainty I have with this Hermes topic is these are no real Hermes watches, it seems they all came out from the prestigious house with an additional serial number that was the Hermes internal inventory number

13. ghwatch May 23, 2014

A fantastic watch and beautiful lugs. Here is another with the slanted type bezel that looks like the Zenith above.

[​IMG]

14. Noodia May 27, 2014

Thank you !

Intresting dial on this one, nice condition too

15. timeismoney May 27, 2014

I just re-read this thread again and can't believe that no one called DIBS on it yet...So...DIBSSSS...:D

16. Noodia May 28, 2014

Gladly accepted ! :)

Many thanks, L

17. timeismoney May 28, 2014

No, thank you! :D
    Until then...Wear it in good health!

18. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 28, 2014

D'OH!

homer_doh.gif

19. Noodia May 28, 2014

Sorry Lou, timeismoney comes first, we'll maybe move forward in our 70s I presume :rolleyes:

20. Argtv7 Jun 23, 2014

I have a 1935 Hermes UG Compur with this case and lugs (37mm). The inside is marked a little differently, with an owl hallmark. I think it's a French assay mark. The owl also appears on the bottom of the lug. I assume it's 18K, but never tested it. I understand Hermes only did UGs in 18K or stainless.

Hermes12.jpg