Forums Latest Members
  1. laurentk Nov 24, 2014

Hi all,
    Newbie here, hope i don't break any forum rule here !

Just got a vintage (my second only) Omega. Seems totally legit, certified, opened and movement verified ...
    However, I can't seem to find any info on it, and especially it's strange dial !
    It's a 2609/3 from the 50s', calibre 265, but can you tell me more about it ?

What model is it (since it's not the seamaster, de ville, ....) ?
    What's the reversed trident thingy ?
    Does this model has a special meaning, history ?

Thank you !!
    Laurent

[​IMG]

omega mouvement 130078-0003-017.jpg
  2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 24, 2014

The dial has been refinished - this dial "style" is incorrect for the case reference - done that way to suggest a military provenance and thus attempt to increase the value of the watch.

3. laurentk Nov 24, 2014

Ha, interesting, I didn't investigate that path.
    Ok, thanks for your answer.
    Is it something that happens often ?

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 24, 2014

Very common to have dials refinished and the vast majority of vintage omegas that have a military look like this one are not military watches at all. The watch is otherwise a jumbo sized manual wind vintage omega - the movement looks ok and the case has been polished.

5. laurentk Nov 24, 2014

Military or not (and i'll trust you if you say it's not), it's a beautiful finish and i like it very much :)
    It's surprisingly sober and contemporary for a 60 year old watch (the original dial is the same, without the army "triden" apparently).

Thanks, so it's a base of jumbo sized, manual wind, omega. The movement is original at least.
    The "cover" indicates a 2609/3 and the parts numbers seem legit on the omega database.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 24, 2014

Actually the dial is a complete fantasy and would have looked more like this (although many different options were available, none likely ever resembled yours).

As noted by MSN, unscrupulous sellers refinish dials in a faux military style to add "value" to their offerings.

The hands on your watch are also replacements.

875.jpg

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 24, 2014

Here is one in my collection - same reference if I recall.

[​IMG]

Lessismore likes this.