Forums Latest Members

Can you help identify this Omega?

1. amcolella Aug 25, 2014

This is my fathers watch given to him at Christmas 1955. It's a 30mm manual windup model & keeps perfect time. No markings on the back of the watch.
    Mom says she paid about $100 US in 1955. That seems inexpensive to me even in 1955 $$.
    Any thoughts on model & value?
    Dad-Watch.jpg

2. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 26, 2014

Hi,
    Nice watch. I found the same case but with a central second caliber in the 1959 US catalog (from Norman Morris), under reference J6587[​IMG]

I looked through the European catalogs that I have for the 1951-1960 period and could not find this case.

That's not the exact reference, as it is the SC one, but at least it gives ou a hint.
    BTW this page confirms the hands and dial style (this tends to show that they are original, which is a plus for collecting) and also the price (145USD in 1959).....

I have no idea of its current value.

Hope it helps,

3. François Boucher Aug 26, 2014

Here'sPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network a similar, but more recent one, with Cal. 600 (27.90 SC PC AM – 1960).

Your watch is most probably a Norman Morris-designed model, with a caliber sporting 17 jewels. It is not in the Swiss Omega vintage database.

These movements were imported from Switzerland, and cased in the USA in order to avoid high excise fees on gold and fancy movements (…anything with more than 17 jewels was considered fancy…).

If you want to know the movement number, you will have to ask your watchmaker to open the case and look inside. This is an old watch, and you should have it cleaned and oiled before running it…

Very nice heirloom!

4. amcolella Aug 28, 2014

Thank you so much for the insight! Very much appreciated!