Forums Latest Members
  1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 11, 2014

Great - I was thinking you have had too much wine or I haven't had enough beer!

Yes getting one position running to zero you could train a monkey to do, but getting everything else running close is the key, and not easy.

Cheers, Al

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 12, 2014

So sitting in one spot in a temperature controlled vacuum is the way to go, just make sure you don't have to move your hand to look at the time.

( but putting the watch on would have already changed everything) ::facepalm2::

3. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jul 12, 2014

Fig

4. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jul 12, 2014

einstein-gm.jpg
    Even worse, it turns out that although Newtonian physics is incredibly INCREDIBLY*10^100 useful, in some cases (for example pendulums) it is only an approximation, albeit a VERY CLOSE approximation, of reality. If you travel, then you are also introducing quantum errors into your time keeping due to the time dilation effects described by Mr. Einstein (a swiss patent examiner by trade, if you didn't know. It's possible that he processed more than a few watch patents which could have given him ... uh i digress but something to think about. )

For those keeping score, by the way, 10^100 was colloquially known as a GOOGLE, which I hope is approximately how many eternities Brinn and Page will spend in Hell. None of us will live long enough to understand the extent of the damage they have done to society.

(Really, he said that? What does that have to do with watches? That's probably why nobody "likes" him any more)

5. Watcho Jul 12, 2014

lol. you guys were very helpful, some were also very funny. thank you.

Rangerchrono likes this.
  6. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 13, 2014

I think the number is spelled GOOGOL. It was misspelled by Brin and Page, not sure purposely or not.

7. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jul 13, 2014

Thank you. That's another sin for Brin an Page to answer for.

8. deerworrier Jul 13, 2014

so, what you are saying here is I am in horology terms at least, a few rungs down the ladder from a trained monkey! ::rimshot:: because all I seem to be able to do is confirm that a watch that may have needed a service prior to opening definitely needs a service after I open it?

Mothra likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 13, 2014

Hey even untrained monkey's have potential! ;)

Really just saying that when you see photos of people with a watch on a timing machine, in one position, running near zero, it really tells you nothing about how the watch is really performing.

Getting a movement to run near zero in one position can be done even with the watch horribly out of adjustment. You simply push the lever, or turn a screw to do this. The skill is in getting a number of positions to be close to each other - how many depends on the watch and who is checking it. Omega has some movements checked in 3 positions, and chronometers are checked in 5. I check and adjust everything to 6 positions personally.

Proper adjusting involves a lot of practice and knowledge of theory to do well. It can take years to learn this, even for higher levels of primates...

Cheers, Al

ICONO likes this.
  10. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jul 13, 2014

I am personally adjusted to 11 positions, which is, I believe, the maximum.

11. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 13, 2014

I personally, have adjusted to 64 positions, but lately, I've had to cut back !

untitled.png

12. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jul 13, 2014

We're not worthy. We're not worthy. We're not worthy. We're not worthy.