Forums Latest Members
  1. Watcho Jul 11, 2014

is there no such thing as a watch thats not off a even a second a day?

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 11, 2014

In every position and state of wind? nope, the planets would have to align like you wouldn't believe.

3. Watcho Jul 11, 2014

but if my watch is set to a satellite clock. and put down right after facing up, for 24 hours. its in that position, and constantly going a second forward everyday. that seems abnormal. is it?. sorry for being so persistent

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 11, 2014

You need to lower your expectations mate. Not sure if this is just someone joking around, but if you really believe that a mechanical watch should not be out a second a day, then you should have researched this a lot more before you bought it.

Omega specs for the 8508 movement (and all their chronometer grade movements) allow the watch to be out between -1 seconds, and + 6 seconds per day, every day.

To be quite clear and unequivocal, it is not abnormal for your watch to gain or lose time, and your watch is running very well - much better than Omega specs and better than 99.99% of mechanical watches Omega produces.

5. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jul 11, 2014

Watcho,

Your watch's movement is a combination of mechanical parts about the size, probably, of a quarter or half-dollar. It's not running on a computer chip. As Buck2466 stated, the accuracy of your mechanical marvel is something like 99.99 percent. Wanting more is asking too much.

If you want near perfect accuracy, buy an atomic watch.

6. deerworrier Jul 11, 2014

this has to be a wind up (boom boom) do I need to find my Troll pictures?

do you ever feel the need to wash your hands 30 times a day?

but, just in case this is serious and you are genuinely very new to watches......mate you need to do a bit of reading on mechanical watches, even quartz watches and understand the variations that are overcome to tell you the time to 1sec per day. if you want a watch to stay in time with absolute precision 24hrs a day with no correction you are very much out of luck and will forever be doomed to a life of disappointment or debt due to the atomic clock you bought for the living room (which by the way will still have an inherent error of around 0.00000000000000000001 sec per day!)

go read about HAQ from citizen or Grand Seiko and the Swiss in case you have xenophobic tendencies , they may come close enough to keep your hair in. I own a Seiko mm600 which gains around 0.1sec per day and a Sinn UX which has not changed since resetting 9weeks ago. this route may be your salvation.

7. Watcho Jul 11, 2014

the reason im asking is cause i called the 8778395224 omega number, with all the info that i was given at this thread. and the guy told me that it shouldnt be off at all and to send it in so they can regulate it so it wont be off even a second a day. thats the reason im asking just to know if this guy knew what he was talking about. i didnt send it in, and probably wont either, but i wanted your opinions of wether i should. seems like no one here thinks that guy knew what he was talking about.

8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 11, 2014

At the end of the day, you have to blame some of the greatest minds in history.

Let's start with Newton. Poor old Isaac discovered something called gravity. You can (with enough patience) adjust any watch (provided the pivots and jewels/bushes are true) in any position, to be accurate to 0.0 secs per day. The trouble is that as soon as you move the watch, the forces of gravity act at a different angle and so the moving parts are subject to different forces. That is why your watchmaker will adjust the watch to an average over a number of different positions/. If you want greater accuracy, you wear the watch for a recorded period of time, without changing the hand position and have it adjusted to your watch wearing style. This will give the greatest accuracy for you life style.

As time goes on, you have to shift the blame to poor old da Vinci. For all his greatness, Leo discovered friction and that is the bane of all engineer's lives. As the nice, new, expensive oil (some of the oils used to lubricate a watch cost the equivalent of £10,000 per litre) starts to age, it loses some of its lubricating properties. As this starts to happen, those nasty forces take over again and the adjustment starts to creep further out of alignment. So, what do you do? You have the watch adjusted to counteract these revised forces.

I don't know who invented synthetic oils but he is your best friend. With old mineral oils, you had to have your watch serviced every 18 months (before Leo's discovery was amplified by a gooey residue of old oil) At least, these days it is 5 years before the oil breaks down.

If you need to have absolute accuracy, buy whatever Apple are about to release that will re-set itself against a GPS signal multiple times a second.

*Edited for historical accuracy and to reflect the fact that I am now sober*

Daniel B and UncleBuck like this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 11, 2014

If he told you that, he's either an absolute twit, or is just trying to make you feel taken care of customer service wise even though he knows there's no point trying to regulate it further.

10. deerworrier Jul 11, 2014

Frank Newton? :whistling:

11. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 11, 2014

Sir Francis to you, squire.

12. deerworrier Jul 11, 2014

Issac?

13. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 11, 2014

Sorry, too much vin rouge - was talking about Francis Bacon at work today.

14. Watcho Jul 11, 2014

thats what i figured. just wanted someone to confirm. thanks

15. deerworrier Jul 11, 2014

superb! and that Arthur da vinci, he was a mad man on the vino ::beer::

Stewart H likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 11, 2014

Are you saying in any single position, or that a watch can be made to run 0.0 in all positions?

If the latter, I think that is a bit optimistic to say the least. With frictional issues between horizontal and vertical, pivot finish, pivot side and end shake, poise, pinning point, balance spring centering, concentricity, spacing between regulating pins, shape of overcoil, etc. the adjustment of any watch is at best a series of compromises. Add in adjustments for isochronism, and having "zero" positional error over say 6 positions is nearly impossible.

I adjust a LOT of watches as part of servicing them, and I am a stickler for timing them to their fullest - any watch with a Delta (difference in rate between say 6 positions) of less than 5 seconds is stellar. Down under 3 is rare, and zero is pretty much impossible.

Cheers, Al

17. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 11, 2014

No Al. I definitely meant in any one position.

18. ulackfocus Jul 11, 2014

Let me just say ::facepalm2::. You either get mechanical watches or you don't. Try bowling as a hobby instead.

No, wait - you'd complain on a bowling forum that you didn't knock down all ten pins every time.

citizenrich likes this.
  19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 11, 2014

Dennis has just seen these types of posts a few hundred too many times on WatchUSeek and Watchtimeforums, a lot of people end up asking the same thing about their first high end mechanical.

citizenrich likes this.
  20. timeismoney Jul 11, 2014