Forums Latest Members
  1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 1, 2014

No returns!

This pax went full lift off. Buyers were begging the seller to take more and better pics and the seller gave everyone a big F U

IMHO, he was playing the market with his awe schucks I don't know noting about this new fangled technology and intertubes stuff and this is the best I can do. The watch doctor (seller)says his friends told him not to clean or polish the watch. Good thing the good doctor consulted his associates before acting!

sellers thought they were dealing with some helpless old rube but who gets the last laugh here? 4g's for a beat up looking nina maybe? I'm especially drawn to what looks like a period correct speidel stretcher. I'm sure those lugs are in like new condition!

Read the Questions and Answers section. It's H.I.arious. The watch doctor gets attacked by a mob of crazy watch collecting italians..bwahahahaha My wife is from sicily and my children are half italian so i get to make fun of them all i want. lol j/k not really

Google translate was on overdrive! One of the italians tells the watch doctor that this was the same watch as his beloved father and he needs this watch…for $1200. Apparently, his American friend will bring him the money. Then luigi goes for the kill with $1300!! The last time I heard so much begging was when I got lost on the subway in Rio De Janeiro looking for a rave.

181446387131 < ---- ebay item

was anyone here involved in this "debacle"? I have an employee who uses that word 10 times a day and I wish he used it 20, especially if you could hear his North Carolina - South Bronx accent. Haha

image.jpg image.jpg
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 1, 2014

Best part was reading the Q&A section.
    I think the WatchDr. knew exactly what he was doing :cool:

citizenrich likes this.
  3. marturx Jul 1, 2014

Can´t believe how anxious people are, and how eager to make a 100% certain find!

Great looking vintage, rare, watch, and someone did do a real bargain there, in my eyes. Anyone here that got it? Would love to see the after pictures!

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 1, 2014

A "Nina Rindt" isn't it? Could be a stunner when cleaned up, and if so a very good price.

Enjoyed looking at the listing, the seller was definitely shining on the bidding crowd. He may have gotten much more with a properly prepared watch and listing.

5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 1, 2014

Someone calls themselves "the watch doctor" from deltona shouldn't be able to get away with acting like a hayseed but he did it. it's remarkable what greed and avarice does to a mind. Someone asked him for more pictures and he claimed he had no camera. The "watch doctor" has no camera! Lol I got a kick out of the dichotomy of buyer questions. One persistent buyer was doing serious due diligence asking for specific photos and descriptions and then the next guy told the "watch doctor" that he need this watch because it reminds him of his dad (for 1300).

the bezel is a busted train wreck and he couldn't give a straight answer whether or not the watch actually worked. Most collectors figure when a barn find shows up like this, it just needs a couple runs through the ultrasonic cleaner and all is good. But, if you look at the movement and caseback you can see that this bad boy has already been powerwashed 1 or 6 times. Universal Geneve is (in)famous or notorious for randomness of dial hands but I'm pretty certain this watch is supposed to have black (practically flat black) hour and minute hands. So, why are these polished steel? I bet "the watch doctor" knows why.

i think you throw a dart at a board and do better with 4 grand.

if the buyer is from italy; likely since whatever is hot right now invariably winds up there, then you're over 5 grand. way over.

I'm going to take a not so wild guess this watch will be re-listed with a quickness...

Probably by a seller with 3 feedback scores from Daytona Beach who just inherited this "funny looking watch" from grandpa.

JimInOz likes this.
  6. marturx Jul 1, 2014

Do you get that cynical by living to long in NYC? :D

7. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 1, 2014

oh, crap - I never wanted to be "that guy".

overly cynical people are terrible bores. terrible.

believe me, most of my cynicism is just classic reaction formation rooted in jealousy for not having the guts to buy the right watches. inertia is a powerful market force for price trends meaning what goes up tends to keep going up and what goes down tends to keep going down. There's no such thing as an undervalued or overvalued watch. UG chronos are highly desirable and this is likely not to change. Ever. Climbing prices leads to higher prices because there's a fixed amount of supply and a basically endless amount of demand. 2/3's of the new threads on this forum are new members enquiring about a UG XXX - Compax.

something about the name of the manufacturer, the name(s) of the various references and the design of the watches are incredibly appealing to the average collector.

the same goes for speedmasters. When I bought my first watch 22/23 years ago, Omega's were for guys who couldn't afford a Rolex. But, speedmaster was always different. Supporters of this watch are the most passionate of all collectors.

If I had an extra 25g's laying around right now, I would go and buy the best condition speedmaster I could find for 25g's (must have papers). Throw it in a safe and tell my son to sell it in ...January of 2032 ?

/end rant

timeismoney likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Jul 1, 2014

You can be cynical if you temper it with humor. It's worked for me for years. ;) ….. or just say you're a 'jaded realist'.

citizenrich likes this.
  9. marturx Jul 1, 2014

Don´t get me wrong CR, I really appreciate to read your texts. Wish I could express myself equally elegant, but english is not my mothers language... Thinking about it, I couldn´t do it in my own language either, and if I could, I think I would have been a writer. :)

Will take your word for that a great conditioned Speedy 321 is a good investment, and will bury deep the one I captured yesterday, so that I can benefit from it, say 15 years from now :) Will finance a trip to somewhere very far from here, and a long stay at the destination!

JimInOz and citizenrich like this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 1, 2014

When you get to my age (in my best quavery old voice), cynicism is a long suppressed inborn trait that surfaces at about the same time that you realise you have become a "grumpy old man" and is generally triggered by things you see as "something too good to be true" and usually turn out to be a turd.

However, my cynicism developed a bit earlier.

I think it was the fact that, as a defence contractor with the government as a customer, cynicism was pre-ordained to strike early.

Now...........back to my Talisker :cool:

11. ulackfocus Jul 1, 2014

In Philly and NYC, you're born with the cynicism gene turned on.

12. marturx Jul 1, 2014

My 2 favourite writers on this Forum, united in the same thread, ha, ha!

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 1, 2014

Ah yes, the well known effects of environment and evolution (and baseball bats).

;)

14. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 1, 2014

Wow, I'm not even on J/V writing team around here. A real piker. I went b- school. I'm loathe to name names for fear of alienating some of the varsity squad but just off the top of my head there's LouS and Uncle Buck, etc.

The true Damon Runyon of this joint is no other than Woodwkr2 a/k/a Bryon.

dude went to Columbia journalism which is the..., um, Columbia journalism of journalism schools. It has like a 1% acceptance rate. Hahaha
    What's more impressive is that he suddenly decided he wanted something more from life and is now in Med School. that's some graham chapman (in, reverse) shit right there!

I actually offered to bankroll Bryon to start a competing watch blog in the same vain as Ben Clymer's "Hodinkee" which appears to be widely successful in a business notorious for difficulty in monetizing success.

Alas, being in med school would leave little time for serious writing regarding the watch business. Ben Clymer is no doubt a wunderkind and prolific in the sheer amount of quality work output but I belive that Byron is even more passionate about watches and might even be a better writer than Ben
    ::popcorn::

Some people prefer Lennon; others McCartney. Much easier to agree both are awesome.

Martux: est le francais votre langue natale? I was taught by Jesuits for (4) cruel years. my french ain't half bad. At least reading and writing. I've been told my speaking makes people's ears bleed...

-Rich

15. marturx Jul 1, 2014

@CR; I wish it was French, but it´s Swedish. A language understood by only appr 0,25% of the world´s population....

16. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 1, 2014

wait. Did I read correctly? What's this 321 stuff all about? Is this your first, or your last of your first dozen?

pics, story, details, etc., etc.

i know a lot of watch guys will insist watches aren't for investing but I've got more than few 3 and 4 baggers and maybe I would have done better investing in Apple (why not both?). I also can't wear an apple stock cert. on my wrist. I mean, I could, but they might EDP me, pump me full of benzos and put me in Bellvue for observation...

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 1, 2014

No need to apologise (emphasised) for your lack of understanding of the fundamental but often confusing nuances of the English language, I have trouble myself at times, but as I only went to a technical high school, I can be excused.

Just get a Lit grad from one of the halls of learning to meet me in the machine shop in an exercise to turn up a plumb bob, or get them to grab a jack plane, a try square and a lump of wood and make a breadboard for their Mum, haha, I'd like to see that.

And if I had to express myself in your native language (somewhere Scandinavian?) I think I'd sound like the "Svedich Chef" from Sesame Street!

I think you do a great job of participating in this forum and the little "mistakes" you make with your English only enhance the, the, er, the.....umm, (trying to think of the word)...............not "cuteness" but something like that, it makes it more interesting for boring old English speakers like me.

It's like listening to a lady from Greece, or Spain, or France speaking, THAT is slightly aphrodisicallogicly arousing.

Your text is similar, but purely in a cerebral sense. :D

(I know............I'm pissed :cool:)

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 1, 2014

19. ulackfocus Jul 1, 2014

That actuall made me laugh out loud. :p

Ah, fuhgeddaboudit.

Hey, do you get any points if you were briefly the Playboy Advisor for watches? ;)

citizenrich likes this.
  20. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 1, 2014

Woah. how did i miss that one? I think I was put-off by the thread title not because I have anything against God who I actually think is THE coolest dude around, but for the God hating Flying Spagetti Monster types who hate poor God so much that they usually rage out at the very mention of.

martux, you sly fox. That watch is a stunner; if it were a chick it would be a "dime piece". I loved your story and love redemption.

Yes, that watch is a certain triple or homerun over the next 10 to 15 years. It's as pristine as possible. It is one of the most sought after watches in the world. I am equally jealous and psyched for you, brother.
    I know we're not supposed to be Pollyannaish naifs predicting future watch valuations but that one is a guarantee.

Congratulations are on order. I wish we could tip glasses and get to business with a proper celebration. For this we put the Aussie here in charge. Aussies are the most accomplished drinkers in the world. At Oktoberfest I have witnessed Aussies literally drink everyone right under the picnic table and barely break a sweat...