Forums Latest Members
  1. alam Feb 11, 2014

Perhaps OP should consider selling the Speedy, I'd say start with the original cost, minus a seven year depreciation (as he knows how terrible is to own this type of watch) and of course minus the cost for repairs, say 620 eur ?). However, pictures are required on the FS section !!! :)

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 11, 2014

Did you shoot this in a mirror then? You claim to own a broken one, so I am guessing this is you...if so just relax mate - it's only a watch after all.

And yes of course most of the Speedmasters I service are not broken, however this one is:

[​IMG]

Just started on this today - this is the photo my client sent after it had been run over by a car in a parking garage.

Just so you know, it still ticked when I removed the jammed up hands...

I'm sure I'll have to replace a few parts, but I'm guessing not many. Like I've said, these are very robust watches mate, but you are free to believe whatever you like.

And you are right I would slow down if I repaired all Seikos, as I would not be able to get parts for most of them. The company discontinues parts far quicker than any Swiss company does, so when it's 40 years down the line parts will still be available for the Speedmaster, but not likely for a Seiko of the same era. Having said that I do repair the odd Seiko, but not many - mostly complicated watches with alarm, chronograph, or the higher end Grand and King Seikos. Most Seiko collectors don't want to pay for a proper service, so usually when I give them a price, they disappear. However repairing some of the Seiko chronos of days gone by is interesting - again if you can get parts....

Cheers, Al

Ruud likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Feb 11, 2014

Guys, let's stop feeding the troll. While some of this is amusing, it's just a waste of time.

Hijak likes this.
  4. Ruud Feb 12, 2014

Thanks, Al, you're a sport. I am a bit overwhelmed by the cynism - and agression - on this forum. My intention was to receive good tips on how to make the speedmaster operational again at less costs than 620 euro's. I succeeded in that and thanked the contributers for that. Now to answer your question "what happened to it": nothing. Really! I took it out of the drawer one day and it didn't run.

5. photo500 Feb 12, 2014

Oh I missed all this ! Hehe, Al, I heard that the only thing Lucas made that didn't suck was their range of vacuum cleaners ;)

Archer, SpikiSpikester and ulackfocus like this.
  6. ulackfocus Feb 12, 2014

Bullshit. You're intention was to be a sarcastic Omega bashing troll right from the first post.

Don't try to say otherwise as you come back regularly to check on your handy work.

::rimshot::

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 12, 2014

You have to realise the reason you've gotten a reaction like that is that you've come onto a forum full of Speedmaster collectors, a watch that among other things is renowned for being extremely durable and reliable as mechanical chronographs go and called it unreliable junk. I mean I have three of them, several people have 10 or more, and they're as tough as nails. Now maybe you got extremely unlucky, or more likely something happened to it that you're not aware of, but its an extremely rare occurrence that a Speedmaster would die on its own. I'm wearing a 1962 model at the moment which has seen a watchmaker only a couple of times in its life and is doing brilliantly, as is my '67.

Privateday7 likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 12, 2014

And the reality is it's not broken at all, just due for regular service...6 years in it's due.

You would know that if you RTFM...

Cheers, Al

9. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 12, 2014

Respectable Member Ruud

Even an air-plane that costs several million dollars each, can break-down - despite regular maintenance.

Every watch can break-down also, whether it is a cheap or expensive brand-name. Basically, all machines can break down. One way to avoid a sudden break-down is to see that your watch gets regular maintenance by a competent watchmaker.

Why not send your watch to one of our respectable members here, Archer who specializes in the routine service and repair of Speedmasters and other vintage-watches, too? You will not regret, since it is very important that you have a watchmaker that you can talk to.

For the price you pay, Omega is widely accepted as the most reliable, durable and accurate watch, money can buy.

How many people are dying to own a Speedmaster? You are one of those privileged few to own one. Repair your broken watch and I am sure you will love it, even more.

Thank-you.

Ruud and Privateday7 like this.
  10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 13, 2014

Respectable member Seamonster,
    Your kind word and elegant manners make me ashamed to myself. I definitely need to learn more from you.

Regards,

11. Ruud Feb 13, 2014

Well, we're not in Kansas anymore. This gentleman would fit nicely in Taliban ruled Afghanistan

12. Ruud Feb 13, 2014

And I think to myself....what a wonderful world

13. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Feb 13, 2014

Deuteronomy 17:7:

The hands of the witnesses must be the first in putting that person to death, and then the hands of all the people. You must purge the evil from among you.

14. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 13, 2014

:coffee:

OmegaWIS, Hijak, Archer and 1 other person like this.
  15. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 13, 2014

Im just sitting back and watching him take a bashing - amusing.

16. OmegaWIS Feb 17, 2014

I still have popcorn left ....

DLT222 likes this.
  17. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Feb 17, 2014

Anyone up for some hippocampus hunting? ::jumpy::

18. OrangeSport Feb 21, 2014

To be honest, yes, but you do need to have the watch serviced regularly (which might be the issue with the OP's)

https://secure.rotarywatches.com/en/lifetime-guarantee

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 21, 2014

Well discounting that they guy was clearly a troll, here is what he asked for:

"Watches that cost more than a grand shouldn't break down on you. And if it does: repair under warranty at all times."

Here is what Rotary offers:

"All movements in Rotary wristwatches now have a lifetime guarantee. The only condition to this warranty is that you return the watch to Rotary Watches for a professional service at least every 3 years or when our reminder reaches you. Although servicing will be chargeable it will contribute to your Rotary's long life through cleaning, lubrication, replacement of any worn parts, regulations and full testing. The lifetime guarantee is only valid if presented with a dated proof of purchase or till receipt from an authorised Rotary stockist. The lifetime guarantee excludes straps and glasses and does not cover damage caused by misuse, accident, wear and tear or neglect. "

These 2 things are not equal...no one offers what the OP was asking for...

One thing we agree on - the OP's watch was not broken - it just needed a regular service.

Cheers, Al

20. OrangeSport Feb 21, 2014

This is very true....

Admitedly I was stretching it a bit, but it was the closest I knew off....

Some people do seem to think of a watch as a one time expense....