Forums Latest Members
  1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 21, 2013

I'm interested in how people - especially the professional watchmakers among us - store the various loose bits - hands, links, dials, crowns, etc - that accumulate in this hobby. I have no doubt there are professional storage solutions here, but I don't know where to begin. What sorts of containers are available - both for general storage and specific to dials, movements and the like?

Extra-credit for links to order.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 21, 2013

On the left is part storage, and on the right crystal cabinet with acrylic crystals....

[​IMG]

I don't have photos of most of the small container type storage solutions I use, but I'll do that when I get some time. I have some trays with smaller compartments in some of the drawers of that tool chest.

One thing I do is use these clear plastic containers for storing the straps and bracelets that come in on watches:

[​IMG]

When you have 14 Speedmasters or 6 or 7 SMP's in the shop at the same time (very common) you need to know what bracelet goes with what watch. When I start the service I remove the bracelet, clean it in the ultrasonic tank, and when it's dry it goes into one of these plastic boxes. Each box has 3 long and narrow compartments, that are perfect for storing bracelets and straps. A blue Post-It note identifies who's watch it's for.

I bought them here:

http://www.solutions-stores.ca/ecommerce/control/main

Now when I disassemble a watch, I use these locking lid stackable trays for the parts:

[​IMG]

They would also be good for storing spare movements and dials in. They can be found at most watch material suppliers, but here is a place that I know carries them:

http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/product9539.html

The one listed there is a 6 compartment style, where the top is all one big space, but they are available like the ones I show with 10 compartments as well. I have both styles here, but I prefer the 10 compartment versions. The lid is clear plastic, heavy duty, and there is a key that locks the lid to the tray. You can also get long keys that will lock several trays to one lid.

Really anything with smallish compartments would work - look for plastic containers for fishing tackle for example.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

Tritium likes this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 21, 2013

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 21, 2013

For storing individual parts, I use an assortment of the first sub-menu here:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/tools/dust-covers-compartmenttrays-and-single-small-containers

....and for those little packets that the vintage spares come in, and for the small containers in the link above, I use these:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/component-storage-box-26150

When I'm working on a watch, I use the same as Al but in the more conservative blue colour - it's my age...

That wooden cabinet of Al's is gorgeous - I want one.

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 21, 2013

I want one, too...... but probably too much for my level now.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 21, 2013

Any fishing tackle shop will have a good selection of trays and storage boxes for watch parts.
    The beaut thing is some are air-tight

7. danomar Sep 22, 2013

Al, what is that black plastic thing on the floor? It resembles a trash can but surely no ever throws out anything related to watches! ;)

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 22, 2013

good and useful answers. I am already heavily into fishing lure boxes, and I don't have room for one of the lovely wooden cabinets like Archer's. I had been fishing around for membrane boxes for dial storage but didn't know what they were called - thanks Stewart.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 22, 2013

Hey I have blue and green too - age is just a number mate....

[​IMG]

And believe it or not, that wooden cabinet came from Costco...

Als 27 likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 22, 2013

Believe me there a few watches I'm working on right now I'd like to just throw out....or even just throw...as hard as I can....up against a brick wall....

Yes it is a trash can, and this is also my office so lots of things go in there. Used watch parts not much, because they are returned to the customer.

Cheers, Al

Als 27 likes this.
  11. Mothra Sep 22, 2013

Worried now....
    :)

12. woodwkr2 Apr 13, 2014

Bringing this thread back, as I picked up one of these Bisley 8 Drawer Cabinets:
    8DrwrCabWht668050_x.jpg

Bought locally here, at the Container Store. Pricey, but it is absolutely the perfect size for my burgeoning collection of watch material and small, watchmaker tools. It's sturdy as hell, so will likely outlive me.

Also, of note, see my warning thread about the dangers of storing watch dials in those wretched membrane boxes.

13. JohnSteed Apr 13, 2014

+1 as I'm just a noob, so will let the real pro's keep at it ;)