Forums Latest Members

BMW M4 Ad Banned For Encouraging Socially Irresponsible Driving

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 19, 2014

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2014/10/BMW-UK-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_275555.aspx#.VESEk4d5COz

ASA's Assessment:
    We also considered that the intercutting of the footage drew clear links between the road and racing use of the car, and therefore condoned the use of the car in the manner shown by both drivers. The ad featured the car cutting corners, skidding, and driving fast, and the sound of the vehicle accelerating was also audible. We therefore considered that the majority of the ad focused on the way the car was being driven and its performance and speed. Because we considered that the ad encouraged unsafe and irresponsible driving we concluded that it breached the Code.

Action Taken:
    The ad must not appear again in its current form. We told BMW (UK) Ltd to ensure that future ads did not link racetrack and road driving styles in a way that focused on speed or encourage a manner of driving that would be irresponsible.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 19, 2014

This is the socially irresponsible ad in question, rules as such by some immensely boring people that likely catch the bus to work:

Myron likes this.
  3. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 20, 2014

Seriously....

Wtf are they smoking!!

I want that car so bad but will stick with the G-Wagon!

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 20, 2014

Ya, well as long as Mercedes don't advertise the G driving off road and damaging moss habitats they should be fine with ASA.

5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 20, 2014

image.jpg image.jpg Long story boring: I blew out (2 ) rear ends in a brand new e46 m3. The 3rd time , BMW, USA refused to honor the warranty claim. Their legal theory was that I was too rough on the car. My attorney played a few TV commercials for the judge in a pre hearing conference and after he was done laughing, he told counsel for BMW that they would be crushed in his courtroom. BMW bought the car back from me, gave me an extra 10 grand and paid all of my legal costs... I've been a loyal BMW client since . I took the 10 grand and used it towards an M5 with 1200 miles from a NY Jet who got cut in training camp. M5 had a much better transitional - no problems at all. Real chick magnet .

Still drive an M5 light (550xi). piggyback tune it makes 600+ bhp.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Myron likes this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 20, 2014

With the rear end was it an E36 M3 having the rear subframe tear?

7. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 20, 2014

My pal has a 550 and its a flying machine! Really nicely put together too!

If I was to change the car it would be for another G! That car is built like a tank and the G63 is just ridiculous....

Although the 6x6 Brabus is just off the chain.

tpatta likes this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 20, 2014

Man, deja vu...

I'm currently waiting on the subframe reinforcement kit to be made for my car then its going in for the same thing, E46 330ci Manual, was driving it when I heard this sound like a rifle going off from the rear, then a bit of clunking when on and off the power, then felt like there was a physical shock going through the drivetrain whenever I lift off the power. Up on the lift they saw a 4 inch crack around the front left subframe mount.

I've just had all the suspension replaced, paid for a full body respray got everything up to spec as I love the E46 shape and and wanted to keep it for a lot more years, probably put about $12k into it in a 4 month period. Now whole interior out, cutting out the floor and welding in a 330i convertible floor (apparently much stronger than the coupe) and having the reinforcement places welded in over the top to stop the subframe cracking again.

I actually haven't spoken to the shop about what it'll cost yet, I've had the guys number for weeks but I feel better not knowing it for the time being.

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 20, 2014

Rules put in place by public servants (Civil Servants?) who wear a belt as well as braces, and socks with sandals, and a cardigan under a suit jacket, and two pairs of underpants.

And drive Reliant Robins.

citizenrich likes this.
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 20, 2014

The ad tells me that when faced with a tracker-trailer careening sideways out of control towards you at 70 mph, the BMW could perform to save your life.

11. destroid Oct 20, 2014

High performance equals safety - the brakes and accelerator have saved me many times from incompetent drivers stopping, merging into me, and generally trying to kill me. And it's not like my car is invisible...

image.jpg

DocHolliday, dsio and Privateday7 like this.
  12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 20, 2014

Well that's exactly it, had a near miss going downhill in heavy rain earlier in the year a bloke on a sports bike slipped sideways and came off right in front, the M3 spec brakes and a set of Michelin PS2s saved his life by about 2 meters in the wet, then some Rav4 with oversized rims on $40/corner Linglong ditchfinders went right up the back of me.

Aside from minimum performance standards for cars, which there should be as cars like the 700cc Suzuki Alto auto are unsafe merging into traffic, they should be banning many of these ultra-budget Chinese tyres.

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 20, 2014

Yes , even if you don't own a BMW, a degree of performance can save you!:thumbsup:
    T6R.jpg

14. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Oct 20, 2014

I would never wear two pair of underpants.

JimInOz likes this.
  15. Dogmann Oct 20, 2014

dsio and destroid

You raise some very good and valid points it never fails to amaze me just how many people seem oblivious to just how important the final point of contact between their car and the road is and by that I mean their tyres. Also that not only do they need the right amount of pressure in them but also ample tread especially so in winter. So many think that just because they look good all is well same goes for the idiots that insist on fitting the largest rims and lowest profile tyres they can get because it looks cool but have no idea just what they are doing to the handling and stopping of their vehicle. It really doesn't matter how cool and flashy or how powerful an engine is if it doesn't handle and stop well your in big trouble. Sorry for my rant but you hit a nerve re the appalling drivers we now find on our roads that are constantly attempting to kill me;) .

Marc

SpikiSpikester and Privateday7 like this.
  16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 20, 2014

One of the car shows I was a recently had a lot of VW and Audi guys in particular running massive stretch on tyres to fit 9-10.5 inch wheels under fenders without rubbing, those guys were getting 225/45s to run that wide and it makes the contact area look like a "W" shape, had to wonder how that's going to work when it actually needs to grip.

17. destroid Oct 20, 2014

"Hellaflush" is that silly trend of ruining your suspension and ground clearance with "stance" that looks like a stepped on Matchbox car.

There's a reason rally and street cars have lots of suspension travel and wide tire to rim width. Like baggy saggy pants, hellaflush is a silly style that annoys anyone who actually uses their car on street or track.

Remember kids, just say NO to hellaflush

IMG_5670.JPG

18. bill5959 Oct 20, 2014

Hell it's only an M3 kids will be kids. Flush out.

19. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Oct 20, 2014

Just say "YES" to speed bumps.

20. iLuveketchup Oct 20, 2014

I think is socially irresponsible to make an M4 appear to be a track car. ::stirthepot::