Forums Latest Members
  1. Interstatetime Jun 18, 2014

I may have a chance to buy an early SS Dato compax which has a black dial with gold lettering similar to the watch at this link.

http://www.carsandwatches.com/universal-geneve/

The dial does not say Hermes on it as the example in the link. The watch is in good shape including the dial but when I first looked at it, having never seen one I thought perhaps it was a redial or a reproduction. What do you think? If it is real is the watch worth $4,000?

Thanks

JohnCote

Mark020 likes this.
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 18, 2014

John, get out the high-powered loupes. A black dial early UG is a redial until proven innocent. If it is real, and 35mm or larger and functioning, I'd say it is worth the 4 grand.

3. Interstatetime Jun 18, 2014

Thanks for the quick response Lou. However, I did look at the dial and the dial looks about like the dial in the link I I shared above. the gold paint on these glossy black dials always looks fake to me...even on the real ones. Is the one in the link real? It is a really cool looking watch with the black dial but I am pretty sure I don't want to own it forever. Even if I don't buy it I hope to see it later this week. I will try to take a picture and post it.

4. Interstatetime Jun 19, 2014

I looked at it again. The dial was definitely redone. Oh well. Photos of the watch I did buy over in the Zenith section as soon as I can get pix uploaded.

JohnCote

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 19, 2014

a rather good question.

UG-Hermes-Groot.jpg UG-Hermes-3.jpg UG-Hermes-2.jpg

6. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 19, 2014

please forgive me - I didn't read the entire thread but isn't this the watch that Dutch carsandwatches guy is selling?

I'm not sure who he is but he has a serious big boy collection of sweet timepieces...

also / that case is a monster, isn't it? I really dig it...

FWIW - I'd always be extra careful with retail / private label watches. The more I learn about UG the more I get the idea that UG corporate didn't have the strictest controls...