Forums Latest Members
  1. Cal_321 Nov 13, 2014

Don't hit me, it's surely already discussed here, but I can't find the exact answer to my question.

Which crown and which handset is authentic and period correct for this model?
    I'm asking because there are a lot of different details by hands (not only sweep second with special tail) and crowns...

Thanks for your answer, Ralph

2. Cal_321 Nov 18, 2014

Does nobody have an idea?

3. Dengar Nov 18, 2014

I am a noob and this is by no means a definitive answer, but I googled "speedmaster 105.003" and the third hit was:
    http://www.speedmaster101.com/105-003/

It says "correct hands" under the pic. But it is the internet... so double check.

4. Dash1 Nov 18, 2014

Yes the excellent website linked above can be relied upon. It has been created by a member here who knows his onions (and Speedmasters!) The correct crown has a flat footed Omega symbol rather than the turned up one of modern crowns, but it is very common to have a replaced crown, the correct hands are more important.

5. JohnSteed Nov 18, 2014

nice! see you've already found your way around

6. richardew Nov 18, 2014

Most collectors want an original handset that displays age c/w the rest of the watch. An original crown is nice but it is fairly standard to replace it when the watch is serviced. The crown has a non renewable rubber gasket that contributes to the water resistant property of the watch.
    10.7.13 _66105.003 fisheye.jpg

7. Cal_321 Nov 18, 2014

Thanks a lot so far. I know speedmaster101 but the Logo at the crown is not visible.

Does anyone have a picture of an model-authentic crown? My one has a round Omega-Logo, but someone said the authentic logo is small and tall.

Is only one size from the sweep second exisiting? My watchmaker says, there a are two versions with different length...

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 18, 2014

Speedmaster101 has no comment on crowns.

My whole site is based on observation, and I have observed that crowns are replaced regularly at service, for reasons pointed out above. Therefore I cannot say from my observations what crowns go on what, but also, is it important?

I can't quite decide what I feel about crowns, (and pushers for that matter) but at the moment I am leaning towards thinking of them as tyres on a vintage car. Nice if you have them, and don't actually plan to use the machine.

I do not know the answer, but I can say on a speedmaster I wear, I have replaced the crown. Courtesy of Michael E here who does a good line in vintage looking crowns.

9. Cal_321 Nov 18, 2014

@spacefriut. Thanks for your post. I understand your point of view, but for me it does matter, which crown is authentic.

Here's a seller with two different 321-crowns:
    Supposed to be authentic for a 105.003, "old style logo":
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/BIG-CROWN-RE...es_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item41893d8f9dPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

My type of crown
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/VINTAGE-OMEG...es_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item417f0c2a87Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

10. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Nov 18, 2014

The seller of those crowns on e-bay is the same Michael E that Spacefruit refered to I believe.

11. richardew Nov 18, 2014

The first one of the vintage crowns. It is the same as the ones that came with several of mine.
    4.22.13_16105.003 day 1.jpg
    For me, water resistance trumps originality since I wear my watches. I have the original crowns in little plastic bags.

12. Cal_321 Nov 23, 2014

Thanks to everyone!

After checking a lot of sources, I think, richardew's picture shows the authentic crown.