Forums Latest Members

As of today, I am no longer just a collector.

1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 8, 2014

My wife has my number and understands that for all intents and purpose that I'm a slightly more modern version of Ralph Kramden.

For you non-Americans (95% of the world), Ralph Kramden
    was an everyman played by the world famous Jackie Gleason, the first star of television in it's nascent era. He was a bus driver from Brooklyn who drove the Madison Ave route. He embraced this unique American ideal; that any man could attain all his hopes and dreams , if he just worked hard and had a little luck. But, Ralph had little luck and a buffoon as his best friend, who helped shatter all his hopes dreams each 22 minutes every week on live television.

Long story boring, I let her choose (5) random watches under 500 bucks from my collection and guaranteed her I could sell (1) within (10) days for a net profit.

I entered the thunderdome (ebay) not knowing what to expect except being ready for a snake pit.

By the third day, I received and accepted an offer for a random watch for which I had no particular attachment to and turned out netting a 60.4126% profit. I can't tell if she's proud of me or still thinks I'm a loser. Is there a difference?? Also - I really didn't enjoy selling the watch,,,Just an empty, lonely feeling.

My name is Citizen Rich. I deal in human fulfillment. I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh, kid?

btw - it's tough luck making money on ebay. Their entire business model is based on stealing from the Sales Tax Department of state treasuries. But, it occurs to me that the only only people who make any real money there are delivery outfits, bubble wrap and cardboard box companies, paypal and ebay,

repoman, tpatta, woodwkr2 and 9 others like this.
  2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Sep 8, 2014

It could have gone a lot worse, if you had lost money she may have put the brakes on the next purchase or heaven forbid, keep selling until at least one makes a profit. And no idea who Ralph Kramden is but I liked the Risky Business quote.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 8, 2014

What!

You never told us :(

You could have made a bonanza with ΩF bidders chasing an original "Citizen Rich"

JohnSteed and Spacefruit like this.
  4. ulackfocus Sep 8, 2014

Nice Risky Business quote. ;)

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 8, 2014

Yep, that's business. Some are even more risky. Could be worse, I would sooner buy a Swordfish boat to fish the North Atlantic than to open a restaurant. :thumbsdown:

repoman likes this.
  6. marturx Sep 8, 2014

CR = flipper = the last bastion has fallen.... Will there be a flood of watches coming out of NYC now??

7. peatnick Sep 8, 2014

[​IMG]

woodwkr2 and DLT222 like this.
  8. Mothra Sep 8, 2014

Brilliant story, but I think you have to give us more detail.... what was the watch, where/when did you acquire it, pictures if you have them and what was incoming and outgoing prices. I wouldn't normally pry, but you could be a hero to us all. I'd certainly rush off and show Mrs mothra bellowing 'See! We do know what we are doing!!!!'

9. woodwkr2 Sep 8, 2014

I hear the margins on crack are a bit better than 60.4126% in Brooklyn these days--it's coming back thanks to an ironic, hipster, counterculture appeal (and it doesn't muck up the 'stache like blow). Margins are especially good if you mix in the rat poison. Cut out the PayPal and eBay fees too. Though FedEx and UPS are happy to be complicit in the illicit ;)

(You could always remind her of the alternatives).

10. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 8, 2014

why aren't you and I hanging out? We don't even have to pretend we like each other… lulzzzzzzzzzz

Have you been to Verboten yet? One of the trippie hippie owners who is the daughter of the Dentist who invented and patented "Invisalign" is one of my dearest life long soul mates and BFF. she take idle rich to never before thought of places. Ashley Tisdale is a PIKER compared to my friend Kristi Evans...

Come, have fun...

image.jpg
  11. woodwkr2 Sep 8, 2014

Ha! Can't say I've spent much time with that NY crowd.

When I'm back in town this Fall we'll have to get together. I'll bring the collection of the week. You can bring whatever watches you have left and supply the music ;)

12. ulackfocus Sep 8, 2014

I'm in if the GTG is on a day off.

Besides, I have to make a pick up from Rich in a few weeks.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2014

The drug of choice for mayors.

14. marturx Sep 10, 2014

The plot is thickening, so it was you Dennis that bought CR´s first ever flipped watch?? Off eBay too, what´s this? :D