Arrivals, What Did You Buy Recently?(Watches)

My thinking but the jewel count, showing my ignorance on such matters?

Bring on the educated watchmakers!
15 jewels and adjusted? Why not??

Another great Speedy from George. Can't wait for it to get there.
45234-09d179332c88a94d1b4c5b1cda2a66f4.jpg

45237-ed7d1e2ed526d3014c10da54420860cc.jpg

A nice wee surprise on opening up the "La Mignonne" - the original watchmakers label. Fortunate to have encountered this once before but nice none the less.

IMG_9167.jpg IMG_9165.jpg

I just went to the post office to pick this one up today and am very happy with it. I am really liking these 35mm dress watches since Dennis sold me his immaculate Constellation. I have been inspired to look for a summer dress watch that I don't have to worry about my clumsy self banging it up. So for more or less the price of a Swatch, I found myself a poor man's AP :p

I believe the movement is a Certina 28-45 and would love to learn more about this watch. Please let me know if anyone have information on this. Also, I am hoping to clean up the stain on the right side of the dial a bit, should I attempt this myself?

Also, I am hoping to clean up the stain on the right side of the dial a bit, should I attempt this myself?

That might be a good candidate for redialing. It's certainly a straightforward enough pattern and font.

Could not help myself with this Bucherer (Anakin). Should hopefully arrive this week.

Could not help myself with this Bucherer. Should hopefully arrive this week.

Ah I can see why for sure, nice pickup!

I see that bucherer made Anakin and Bullhead very similar to Omega. Anyone know the story behind that? Is that somekind of join development? or is it just homage watch? If it is tungsten case, I would say it would not be easy to manufacture as homage..........

I don't think they had anything at all to do with development, mostly because Bucherer was a retailer and AFAIK had no development expertise of manufacturing resources. Bucherer appears to have branded a lot of watches made by watch companies. Here's an example of a Bucherer- branded Monaco currently on sale over at the Heuer forum (no affiliation w seller)

IMAG2119_zpse7571f3f.jpg

http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/chronotrader/index.cgi?page=1;md=read;id=32788

I don't think they had anything at all to do with development, mostly because Bucherer was a retailer and AFAIKhad no development expertise of manufacturing resources. Bucherer appears to have branded a lot of watches made by watch companies. Here's an example of a Bucherer- branded Monaco currently on sale over at the Heuer forum (no affiliation w seller)

http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/chronotrader/index.cgi? page=1;md=read;id=32788

So Bucherer brand Anakin and Bull head basically a rebranded Omega? Good to know....

Yes, as LouS stated, it was just a relabeled Omega. Based on my research, some have even found the Omega mark scratched off on the inner side of the caseback. Bucherer, was and is, a huge Swiss Jeweler that had a famous history of putting their names on various Swiss watches. To put things into perspective, there was at least one watch that was co-branded with Rolex in the 20's. Obviously, their current watches, are a very different kettle of fish.

FWIW, You can also find a similar Anakin under the Lemania brand. This was because Lemania was producing movements for Omega during that time.

I see that bucherer made Anakin and Bullhead very similar to Omega. Anyone know the story behind that? Is that somekind of join development? or is it just homage watch? If it is tungsten case, I would say it would not be easy to manufacture as homage..........

So basically, you can get a cool blue dialed Anakin for way less than the Omega branded one? Sounds like a deal to me.

that's a handsome watch. Perfect mid-century minimalism. I've yet to see a Gubelin branded watch that I don't like.

I just went to the post office to pick this one up today and am very happy with it. I am really liking these 35mm dress watches since Dennis sold me his immaculate Constellation. I have been inspired to look for a summer dress watch that I don't have to worry about my clumsy self banging it up. So for more or less the price of a Swatch, I found myself a poor man's AP :p

I believe the movement is a Certina 28-45 and would love to learn more about this watch. Please let me know if anyone have information on this. Also, I am hoping to clean up the stain on the right side of the dial a bit, should I attempt this myself?

So I did some more digging after opening the case up, I think it is actually an Eterna cal.1480.

It's definitely an Eterna - you can't miss those reverser wheels and the stepped layout.

Here is one of a very similar design, for those who are interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JUVENIA-21-...N-/191120050579?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.

Love the Gubelin dress watches. Gubelin is like the Tiffany's of Switzerland, so you can get some really nice watches under a Gubelin badge. I'd advise you to not attempt the dial cleaning yourself--unless you have already decided that you will send it to be redialed. Then, have at it... I always do this, as it's better to practice when it doesn't count.

If you do decide to redial it, despite how "easy" the font and simplicity of the dial would lead you to believe, International Dial for sure, and every other re-done Gubelin has managed to royally screw up the "Gubelin" font. Be warned.

Could not help myself with this Bucherer (Anakin). Should hopefully arrive this week.

Yikes, I can see the melted/gooey gasket from here! That's going to be a nightmare trying to salvage the white tachy ring. I've seen it done, however. GL!--It's a beautiful dial.