Forums Latest Members

Are you a leather/rubber strap guy, or a metal bracelet guy, and why?

1. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 23, 2015

Hey all,

So I have long debated this question in my own head. I think I've decided – I'm a leather strap guy, for four main reasons:

- It's more comfortable
    - It's incredibly easy to adjust
    - There's always a cheap replacement
    - It's more fashionable and can be dressed up/dressed down (in my opinion, of course)

I do like metal bracelets occasionally, but usually, I'm a leather guy. However, some pieces almost need to be on their metal bracelet (the 2531.80 is one of those, IMO).

What are your guys' preferences, and why?

2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 23, 2015

Good for you creating this thread. I've been wondering what flavors others here on the Forum liked.

I'm firmly in the strap camp. Either leather or interesting exotics. No rubber. I have exactly one watch on a bracelet, a piepan Constellation with arrowhead markers on a "beads-of-rice" bracelet. Don't know if beads-of-rice bracelets came on 50s Constellations but ran across it so installed it. Its ok for hot summertime use.

I took the original bracelet off the '85 Speedmaster Professional that I recently acquired in favor of a FLUCO "whiskey" brown leather strap. The Speedmaster bracelet is the most comfortable of any I've ever worn but sure like the look of the strap and straps are undeniably comfortable.

Edited Feb 23, 2015
    ffej4 likes this.
  3. apan Oops, I forgot the "J" when I registered.... Feb 23, 2015

Depends on the watch. Having the original bracelet available as an option is always a big plus - switching it up between bands / straps is a nice refresher

ffej4 likes this.
  4. JG808 Feb 23, 2015

It all depends on the watch for me. I own a Tudor Pelagos that I wear on the rubber strap 99% of the time because it looks awesome and is way more comfortable than the bracelet. I wasn't much of a bracelet guy until I bought a Rolex Explorer II and was instantly sold on its oyster bracelet. I do love leather straps and find that when I wear a leather strap, it's usually on my Speedmaster.

Strap changing is one of the most fun aspects of watch collecting as it can totally change the look and feel of a watch. Strap collecting has become a mini hobby within the hobby of watch collecting for me.

5. italy1861 Feb 23, 2015

Metal bracelet for my Speedy Pro... Strap made out of some type of animal/ reptile for my mid-60's auto.... Right now teju lizard

ffej4 likes this.
  6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 23, 2015

I most often choose leather straps, for comfort and nearly limitless selection. :)

ffej4 likes this.
  7. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Feb 23, 2015

Definitely straps for me. I've got a weakness for Camille fournet and Jean Paul Menicucci straps.

Some watches look perfect on their original bracelets though (i.e A386, royal oak)

ffej4 likes this.
  8. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 23, 2015

I can see strap collecting turning into a hobby for me as well. You can really personalize your watch with different straps and bands, and I think that is another reason I like leather so much.

Also, I will agree that the Explorer II looks fantastic on its metal bracelet. I think it could pull off a leather strap pretty well too, but it's definitely one of those watches that looks best on the metal bracelet.

9. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 23, 2015

I think I've "accidentally" been collecting straps too as there is an accumulation of them on hand. I haven't thought of it before now but, from time to time, seem to come up with yet another one that I think is nice and would look really great on one watch or another. I enjoy looking at selections of nice straps on watch strap sites.

In fact, right now there are two straps riding around in the satchel I carry to the office each day that have been there for a few months since they came in the mail.

ffej4 likes this.
  10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 23, 2015

I switch around all the time. One of my favorite things is that just a strap or bracelet change gives you a new watch. I have 27 main watches that wear about 75 ways.... That said some watches I can't see on steel, like a Portuguese chrono IWC or a vintage classima or aviator.

ffej4 likes this.
  11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 23, 2015

When buying, I want the original configuration - which is typically bracelet for the watches I like. For day to day wear, mostly leather as its winter. Summer, probably bracelet.

mfili98 and ffej4 like this.
  12. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 23, 2015

Serious question here: do you wear ALL 27 watches? Like, do you rotate them and only wear each watch about once a month? I have 6 watches and find myself only wearing one or two!

13. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 23, 2015

I can relate. However, I tend to do grimier things in the summer (throw my hands around more, play sports, etc.), so I actually have found I prefer having a leather strap/a NATO strap on. Metal bracelets can get scratches/dinged up easily for me in the summer and I like to preserve them as well as I can.

mfili98 likes this.
  14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 23, 2015

All of them, about 10 on rotation and the others on occasion.

ffej4 likes this.
  15. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 23, 2015

What's your favorite dressy watch?

16. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 23, 2015

There are 30-something vintage watches on hand here which is paltry compared with some members' extensive collections. The watch menagerie is divided up into black straps, brown straps, burgundy straps, tan straps etc. with several watches wearing each color of strap. A watch is selected to go with the shoes and belt for the day. I do have five or six favorite watches but all see some use.

ffej4 likes this.
  17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 23, 2015

They change, I'll have a favorite for a bit and then another, that's why I keep them all. Those few that I stop feeling area favorites when I wear them I place for sale so i make some space. On the antique front I really only use the Waltham trench watch, on vintage all of them, but lately I'm working a lot from
    Home and it's rough weather so I wear more the subs and modern watches. That will change though, it always does.

ffej4 likes this.
  18. iLuveketchup Feb 23, 2015

Really depends on the watch. I generally prefer leather straps due fit/adjustability and low key looks. But bracelets only with Rolex. Don't know what it is, but Rolex just looks at home on a bracelet.

ffej4 likes this.
  19. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 23, 2015

I've owned one Waltham before. It was the one that Dexter wears in the TV show, and it was a huge pain to find!

20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 23, 2015

Here's mine. Over 100 years in my family. 2 wars and still ticking

image.jpg
    kkt, scundo, Charlie3755 and 9 others like this.