Forums Latest Members

Are my eyes playing tricks on me RE: this 105.012 and it's hands

1. teenagediplomat Oct 21, 2014

Is it just me or my ignorance, but it seems like these aren't the same hands but these 2 pictures are from the same auction being sold as 1 watch

2. teenagediplomat Oct 21, 2014

picture didn't upload first post

Screen shot 2014-10-21 at 3.25.15 PM.png
  3. TLIGuy Oct 21, 2014

Man I love it when people go all CSI on these old Speedmasters.

Varasc likes this.
  4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 21, 2014

Sorry. but it's just you or your ignorance.
    take a longer look and you will see that the stains on the hands and the dot on the hour subdial are the same in both photos.
    Clearly the same watch photographed in different lighting conditions.

5. teenagediplomat Oct 21, 2014

dennisthemenace i notice that the spot between the 12 and 1 position exist in both photos, but the question wasn't about the dial, it's about the big black bar across the minute hand in the photo on the left and it's absence in the photo on the right. nothing suggests that it's a shadow

6. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 21, 2014

Apart from the black whatever it is they are clearly the same hands in both pics.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2014

The pictures may not have been taken at the same time. The hands have lost some paint, probably during removal for some type of servicing. Other aspects of the hands remain the same in both pictures.

8. teenagediplomat Oct 21, 2014

If the consensus is they're the same hands then my purpose for posting will have.. served a purpose :thumbsup:
    TLIGuy I prefer SVU but just the same, picking up on a swapped dial/hands/caseback spared me from a $5000 franken

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2014

Its one of those unfortunate things but it happens, paint and tritium tend to flake off on older watches and and its happened once or twice to me to great expense, my 1680 was perfect when it went in for service and came out with some lume fallen off the dial degrading its value somewhat. Thing is you can't really blame the watchmaker when it happens as old tritium is fragile crumbly shit that can fall off just from looking at it. One of the better Brisbane watchmakers won't service expensive vintage Rolex anymore because a big red Daytona lost two lume dots while being carefully serviced and in spite of three more lume dots already being gone before from the dial before he touched it the owner went berserk on him.

10. teenagediplomat Oct 21, 2014

dsio it's not so much the paint falling off, it's just my double and triple checking pictures for consistency, given the recent circumstances..