Forums Latest Members
  1. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Apr 9, 2014

Picked up a few rock fragments from beaches on our latest trip and was surprised to see so many silver coloured flakes embedded. Some really large rocks had sheets approximately 400mm x 200m, smooth texture similar to silver.
    Todays wruw has a small example, any ideas what causes this?
    IMG_9452.jpg

Dablitzer and pitpro like this.
  2. ulackfocus Apr 9, 2014

Firebombs shot from Planet X that didn't have the desired effect after descending through the atmosphere.

cristos71 and Alpha like this.
  3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Apr 9, 2014

And here's me hoping it may be hippocampus droppings :(

4. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 9, 2014

Good looking Altus.
    I am actually looking for a specific one.

citizenrich likes this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 10, 2014

Today's sample is a weathered piece of granite. The shinny mineral is muscovite, aka mica.

Alpha likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 10, 2014

Slap a speedmaster on it and call it a meteor.

Privateday7 likes this.
  7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Apr 10, 2014

Mica, obviously knew of it but never seen it in the raw state :thumbsup: Just proves that there is nothing you can't find out on this forum.
    NOW about this weeks numbers for our National Lottery ;)

8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 10, 2014

The dropping is too small for hippocampus - they're a whole lot bigger than you'd think from looking at the tiny caseback engravings.

I'm thinking Shetland Unicorn.

9. woodwkr2 Apr 10, 2014

[​IMG]

Archer likes this.
  10. woodwkr2 Apr 10, 2014

Let's just say, I sure hope you don't have hippocampus droppings ;)

11. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 10, 2014

I think he was selling it and then pulled it.

it has such a nice dial.

if you're into dials.

Personally, I love it.

12. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Apr 10, 2014

True, it sat for so long that I came to my senses and withdrew it. A nice one on the bay last week but managed some self restraint :(

13. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Apr 16, 2014

"Geology is the study of pressure and time. That's all it takes really, pressure, and time. That, and a big damn poster" Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding

14. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 16, 2014

I'm not well-versed in geology at all, but have always been attracted to different examples. Here's one that I bought in New Zealand.

Jade was only formed in places that had major tectonic plate action (i.e. tremendous heat and pressure), and as NZ happens to lie right on Asia's main fault line, there is jade found in some parts of the country. Because of the pressure under which it was originally formed, Jade is incredibly hard. It cannot be carved, but rather must be ground and then polished.

[​IMG]

AuBuyer likes this.
  15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2014

Hippocampinae:

Due to the morphologically intermediate nature of the pygmy pipehorses between pipefishes and seahorses, the taxonomic placement of this group remains contentious, and three different classifications have been proposed for the subfamily Hippocampinae. No well-resolved phylogeny exists, making it impossible to settle this issue at the present time.
    • Hippocampinae comprises both seahorses and pygmy pipehorses[1]
    Phylogenetic analyses based on five nuclear genetic loci recovered the genera Hippocampus and Idiotropiscis as sister taxa, suggesting that seahorses and pygmy pipehorses are a monophyletic group[9] and hence share a common evolutionary origin. However, the same phylogeny indicates that if the subfamily Hippocampinae is accepted as valid, then the pipefish subfamily Syngnathinae is paraphyletic, because the former is not a sister group of the latter, but is nested within it.[9]
    • Hippocampinae includes only seahorses, pygmy pipehorses are placed into the pipefish subfamily Syngnathinae[6]
    This classification system disregards both genetic data and the morphological characters shared by seahorses and pygmy pipehorses. As seahorses have a sister taxon relationship with Idiotropiscis, and other pygmy pipehorse genera are likely basal to this group (given their more pipefish-like appearance), this classification would also make the Syngnathinae paraphyletic.
    • Hippocampinae includes only seahorses, pygmy pipehorses are placed into own subfamily[2]
    This classification places all pygmy pipehorses into the subfamily Acentronurinae. Based on the nuclear DNA phylogeny, the exclusion of the seahorses from this group likely makes it paraphyletic. However, such a placement is partially supported by an alternative molecular phylogeny that is based on a combination of nuclear and mitochondrial markers and that recovered a group comprising pygmy pipehorses and several pipefishes as a sister lineage of Hippocampus.[10]
    As the genus Hippocampus consists of two morphologically distinct forms, it has been suggested that it should be split into two distinct genera, Hippocampus and a new genus comprising the pygmy seahorses. Pygmy seahorses have a single gill opening on the back of the head (instead of two on the sides as in normal seahorses), and the males brood their young inside their trunk, instead of in a pouch on the tail.[11] A molecular phylogeny confirms that the pygmy seahorses are a monophyletic sister lineage of all other seahorses.[10]

[​IMG]