Forums Latest Members

Anyone here snagged this Deluxe stepped dial connie?

1. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 29, 2014

Yes the 14382 De Luxe is quite an uncommon model. The pics are awful but I think the dial is okay. As far as I know the 14382 was the last model to feature the stepped pie pan dial.

BTW Omegasaoud, that list of calibres was taken from my blog site without my permission and is an old version. They even removed the copyright notice. Interestingly, I have omitted to add the 14382 to the list and will do so.

Cheers

Desmond

2. Dablitzer Aug 29, 2014

I actually ended up buying this watch and I paid for it. The seller just refunded me with some excuse about the watch, and it not being sold with original bracelet. I'm guessing someone must have countered me.... :( I'm sure we'll see it again soon enough! ::censored::

3. ulackfocus Aug 29, 2014

Even if the seller says "no returns" both eBay and Paypal will side with the buyer if the buyer just returns the watch.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 29, 2014

Probably was this guy...;)

gatorcpa

Dablitzer likes this.
  5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 29, 2014

Interesting.

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 29, 2014

If I've read it correctly, there are two different watches being discussed in this thread. Not uncommon that threads start with one topic and finish with three others. :rolleyes:

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 29, 2014

Second watch is still running and hasn't ended yet so it must be the first one, going to be interesting what that second one goes for, I really like it (would like it even more if it was No-Reserve)

8. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 29, 2014

If there was a counter offer from a forum member after the sale was completed then that is pretty poor form.

Dablitzer likes this.
  9. marturx Aug 30, 2014

You're a bad boy Alex, go to he corner and be ashamed for a while! :D

10. Dablitzer Aug 30, 2014

I don't see why. Was simply stating that it was from Romania, Europe.

I was the first buyer of this watch and as you can imagine, a little dissapointed..

11. Dablitzer Aug 30, 2014

I had paid the BIN price for the first watch Marturx. And during a concert last night I got a long winded message about how he has to refund me. You can imagine my face...::shy:: Despite comments about the dial being refinished I knew instantly what this watch was, and I think it was original. I am gonna spend the day moping about a watch! :(:p

pitpro and marturx like this.
  12. michael e Still learning. Aug 30, 2014

Very bad form indeed. But Alex should take some comfort in knowing the buyer won't be able to show the watch off round these parts and every time he looks at it he will be reminded of the day he did something shameful. Let us hope his next bowel movement is a burning hedgehog coming out backwards.

Dablitzer and NT931 like this.
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 30, 2014

The much more probable occurrence is that several people sent him messages offering $100, $200 or $300 below the buy it now price as often happens on well priced BIN's with everyone wanting to try to do a bit better.

Just last month I PMed a guy selling a stainless Connie local to me asking if he'd take $150 less than BIN cash in hand in person, his reply was that I was the fifth person to make him an offer and increased his buy it now price from $1100 to $1800 after declining on the grounds that "everyone wanted it".

14. Pahawi Aug 30, 2014

Alex, we’ll probably never know, if this thread made a forum member contacting the seller with a better offer, but I want you to know, I’m sorry if starting the thread cost you the deal :(

Even though I over the years, have bought countless things through eBay, I’ve never experienced a seller doing what this guy did, and I’m very surprised it’s legal for sellers to do so:mad:

Paul

15. John R Smith Aug 30, 2014

You have to remember that at any given time, there are roughly twice as many "guests" or lurkers viewing this Forum as there are registered members. A significant number of these will be sharks looking for a hot tip to a desirable watch.

If you "out" any watch here, then it is potentially vulnerable to nasty tricks from person or persons unknown . . .:( and that goes for traceable photographs, too, not just eBay links.

16. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 30, 2014

Yes, I tend to agree, JRS, and I've been a bit concerned that enthusiasm for specific auctions while live upsets normal market forces and favours sellers over buyers. On occasions, positive comments by respected and knowledgeable forum contributors have unleashed a bit of a frenzy, and watches formerly 'under the radar' have become the subject of fierce and sometimes irrational bidding. Collectively, we seem to be shooting ourselves in the foot, case by case.

I'm all in favour of sharing knowledge, but maybe it's a matter of timing. Knowledge and experience in effectively appraising watches is normally hard won, and perhaps we should keep it in the forum through private messaging rather than public declarations that can be read by members and 'visitors' alike.

I know on other fora over the years there was ultimately a groundswell of protest over the practice of 'outing' watches, and eventually those fora established rules that current auctions couldn't be discussed. I think that's harsh because it applies to both orchids and onions, and it would be a real pity if contributors couldn't 'out' a dog or a Franken. Besides, the liberality of moderation on this forum is one of its great attractions and it would be very sad to lose that.

Perhaps we could establish a voluntary, rather than an enforced, code that allowed for brickbats and fake alerts, but made use of private messaging for sharing intelligence on the more desirable watches until the auction finishes?

Cheers

Desmond

lenny, gatorcpa, pitpro and 7 others like this.
  17. marturx Aug 30, 2014

So Alex was the victim here for a nasty trick. In that case you can leave the ashame corner, freed from all suspicions :)

18. Dablitzer Aug 30, 2014

Don't worry Paul, it's nothing you could of done. I'm just frustrated, as it would of been my first stepped dial... :(

19. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 30, 2014

Pretty poor form from both buyer and seller - let's not let the seller off the hook here. Cooking up a reason to reneg on a sale to take a better offer is slimeball behavior.

20. Dablitzer Aug 30, 2014

Why is it poor behaviour from the buyer?! ::confused2:: I paid for the watch fair and square. The seller was the one who cancelled and refunded me..