Forums Latest Members

Anybody tried leather nato on your pieces yet?

1. LeDave Aug 28, 2014

I am thinking of getting a thin leather nato strap for my SMPc. Right now I have a very thick zulu strap. I fear it may be putting too much strain on my spring bar, so I want to change it out to a thinner fabric like a nato strap. I was looking on Amazon trying to find a thin leather nato strap and I think I have found one. It's going to be light brown. Does anybody use a leather nato on their timepiece? If so, I would love pictures.

2. peatnick Aug 28, 2014

[​IMG]

kyle L, Dogmann and LeDave like this.
  3. LeDave Aug 28, 2014

That strap looks pretty thick, how's your spring bar holding?

4. Davidt Aug 28, 2014

That's the beauty of a nato, one bar can fail and your watch is still secure.

image.jpg
    Tritium, wxs2 and LeDave like this.
  5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 28, 2014

True with a Zulu too. :thumbsup: Leather - Zulu or Nato - will generally be thicker than a nylon version of either. In my experience, some watches just don't have enough room to accomodate a leather strap. With the SMPc, you should be able to find a leather Nato that is suitable. There is at least one member here who sells them in the accessories section, though I have no personal experience with that product.

Personally, I opt for single-shouldered springbars when using a Nato or Zulu setup. You'll have to cut them off to change if you don't have lugholes but IMO, more secure.

LeDave likes this.
  6. LeDave Aug 28, 2014

7. peatnick Aug 28, 2014

It was the thinnest one I found, so far so good . . .

8. Mathlar Aug 29, 2014

Here's my Speedy Pro on a Cordovan shell leather nato. I use 20mm single flanged 1.8mm diameter Swiss ISO spring bars - same thickness and style as the Omega ones but a fraction longer:

WP_20140326_13_48_33_Pro.jpg

wxs2 likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 29, 2014

I've got a kangaroo leather I sometimes wear on Speedys, no pics handy but its a great feel

10. timeismoney Aug 30, 2014

I do as well. They are soft and thin. I recommend them.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 30, 2014

Reduces the number that can walk in front of my car while I'm driving in the dark too so I'm very much in favour of more of them being turned into watch straps.

12. timeismoney Aug 30, 2014

LOL :D

13. Traveler Aug 31, 2014

Most of my watches spend a decent amount of time on leather NATOs - comfort is unbeatable, and I love the look... Here are what's on the current rotation:

Suede ( one olive, one charcoal ) from Worn & Wound shop on 1938 Longines ...

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Olive horween chromexcel with custom red stitching from AgeLeatherGoods on 1965 Benrus...
    image.jpg

Black kangaroo from Hodinkee on Brosnan Seamaster...

image.jpg

image.jpg
  14. CdnWatchDoc Aug 31, 2014

Like Traveler, I have a couple on leather NATOs, This is a 1964 Benrus on a supple oiled cowhide "Big Guy" from Watchgecko:
    [​IMG]

and this is a lovely vintage Altus that I have on a Hodinkee Horween[​IMG]:

Both feel great on the wrist, especially during the summer months (the very few we get here in GWN!)

15. Traveler Sep 17, 2014

image.jpg Wearing this today (kangaroo Nato), and it reminded me of this thread...

Dsio, I also found another use for the kangaroos... I went to an Australian restaurant in NYC the other day, and ordered 'the burger' (my usual lazy default option). It was seriously one of the best burgers I ever had. I was talking to the waitress about it and I found out it was actually kangaroo meat! To be fair, it was listed as a 'roo burger' on the menu but I thought that was just a 'funny' name as the place was Australian... I was a little grossed out, as I had always thought of kangaroos as a sort of rat/rabbit hybrid, but it was a seriously good burger... Anyway one less 'roo to crash into...

16. msp1518 Sep 17, 2014

I just bought a black leather NATO in anticipation of my incoming Omega SM300.