Forums Latest Members

Any Idea On What Year This Watch Was First Sold? Jlc

1. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 28, 2012

Hello, I am trying to determine the year. The serial is 208315.

Can anyone tell me the movement?

Thanks!!

jaegersteel5.jpg jaegersteel3.jpg 2012-09-28 16.26.59.jpg

2. ulackfocus Sep 28, 2012

It's definitely from the 42x series, maybe a later version of the 428. Early versions looked like this:

JLC428.jpg

[​IMG]

The second pic is inside my 1946 red gold JLC. The serial number on the watch this thread is about dates the watch to 1942-ish..... which can't be right because that's a late 60's or 70's style case & dial. It's either a franken or there's a missing a digit. Serial numbers 2,000,000 and higher were assigned to watches starting in 1969 into the early 70's. That would certainly jive with the balance wheel not having perimeter weights. Can't tell you when the Glucydor balance came into use, but they didn't have it before 1950 for sure.

Kinda funky though. I like it. However, I'd like a much better shot of the dial because I'm suspicious of it being original or not.

3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 30, 2012

4. ulackfocus Sep 30, 2012

Not necessary. It's been refinished now that I know it went back to JLC. They do a great job. However, that's an outrageous price for a stainless steel watch.

5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 30, 2012

The link in reply #3 is one example of a watch identical to the one I own. The one advertised in the link is $3,500, but that is Singapore dollars, so really ~$2,300, and agree an outrageous price. What I am trying to determine is if in fact the dial on the one I purchased is original as stated when I purchased. The dial and print looks identical to the one that was refinished at JLC. Since I have never seen a watch like this one, there is little to nothing to make a comparison.

Would a watchmaker be able to tell the difference between an original and factory refurbish? I assume if they disassemble the watch they could certainly know for sure.

The more I wear this watch the more I love it.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 2, 2012

Movement is a JLC cal. 818. It's a updated (60's/'70's) version of the 4XX series that Dennis shows.

http://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories/1137_JLC 818.pdf

I think the information on that seller's webpage is more or less accurate regarding the date of production. In the picture shown above, I think the first digit of the serial number is hidden by the bridge. Probably in the 2.2 million range.

Regarding which of the two watches has an original dial, it's not possible to say. JLC only redials when they feel it is needed. Also, JLC will replace a dial with an original, if one is in stock. Since we never saw a "before" picture on the Singapore watch, I don't think we can assume it is a redial.

Given that the dial on this style is so simple, I'm not sure it's a big deal if it's a redial or not. It's a sub-$1,000 piece even if perfect.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

7. ulackfocus Oct 2, 2012

E, thanks yet again for putting the facts to my suspicions. I think we need to get you an avatar title like "Official Researcher" or "Bureau of Truth - Chief Investigator".

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 2, 2012

"Horological Historian"

Of course a prefix to that could be added, at the suggestion of Mr. Pesci :D

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 2, 2012

I'll leave the title to the "powers that be". The second one is not bad though...:rolleyes:
    gatorcpa

10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 2, 2012

Thank you UlackFocus and Bureau of Truth - Chief Investigator. I do appreciate the insight. This is now my favorite time piece. My collection has grown over the last 4-6 months (simply amazes my wife, she no longer asks!!) and I thank all of you for providing good quality and insightful posts that have caused me to spend a lot of money :). Fortunately is it money well spent.

11. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 4, 2014

I don't wear this watch very often, but some how the crystal cracked at the corner. Any ideas about how I would go about getting a replacement?