Forums Latest Members

Antiquorum goes long on redials

1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 21, 2014

the catalog for the Geneva sale for Antiquorum is out, and my impression is that there is a flood of redials which are not flagged as such. Just as a sample within the Zenith world:

Lot 419 - redial, never mind the bent 4 o'clock lug

According to Antiquorum: Dial: "good, slightly oxidized, original hands"

Lot 420 - screaming redial

Antiquorum - Dial: "very good, original hands"

Antiquorum has codes for "redial" but just doesn't use them.

Check out your favorite brand and give your opinion.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2014

Doesn't even matter if you tell them, they don't take action on it. There was that Seamaster Piepan in a Constellation case a ways back along with that train wreck of a neptune cloisonné replica, in neither case did they want to pass up an opportunity to collect some fees in order to protect their reputation.

3. georgetownhoya Oct 23, 2014

My question is whether they realize these are redials or they simply are clueless. My guess is the latter.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 23, 2014

I think if you're in the business of selling watches in a professional capacity there's really an expectation that you either have the expertise to correctly evaluate them or the funds necessary to pay for the services of qualified experts. Especially considering the fees imposed by the auction house its not really good enough to be playing it fast and loose.

5. georgetownhoya Oct 23, 2014

I agree completely!

6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Oct 23, 2014

With regard to lot 420, I'll bet they know it's a redial, but - redial notwithstanding - offering a cal 135 for sale without a mention of the calibre in the description is a clueless act. Even the eBay seller who sold this watch for a song at least included the movement information (and his suspicion that it might be ristampato)... his clueless act was shipping only to Italy.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181308855540Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 23, 2014

Willful ignorance ;)