Forums Latest Members

Advice requested on a UG Prince (UFO)

1. Carlton-Browne Nov 17, 2014

The latest potential purchase that I'm torturing myself over is a Universal Genève Prince that I've recently come across. Here are the pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are two previous threads on this model that I can find:
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/inte...boodle-dunthorne-liverpool.12296/#post-141801
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/unusual-scouse-1936-universal-geneve.16652/

I can't help thinking that the dial and hands are wrong - indeed the dial may have been created to match the Longines pictured in the thread above; but then, something that this forum does tend to generate is a paranoid fear of redials :). The serial number seems to put it in the 1935-36 era.

The money being asked is about GBP800 - non-trivial from my perspective and I'd have to sell something, especially with the season of goodwill almost upon us.

At 30mm I also have to examine myself as to whether I'd actually wear it. I have no problem with my Wilhelmina however that is all-dial. By modern standards this is a little more female in appearance; just something else to torture myself over.

2. Carlton-Browne Nov 17, 2014

Just to add that the seller has now confirmed the calibre as a 246 - I believe that to be correct.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 17, 2014

It's an interesting watch, but at 30mm with that bezel-heavy design, I think it is way too small to wear - just 1 guy's opinion. Regarding the dial - looks redone. Save your dough.

4. woodwkr2 Nov 19, 2014

I concur with Lou on the dial. Looks redone. The UFO watches are pretty cool, unique pieces. 30mm is a highly collectible size (especially in some of the baby chronos), but if you're going to wear it, you've obviously got to see that it'll work for you.

5. Carlton-Browne Nov 22, 2014

Many thanks for your advice, gents. I've decided not to go ahead with this.

6. Carlton-Browne Jan 15, 2017

This has obviously been bugging me as I've continued to track this style of watch. I recently picked this up needing a repair; I've not instantly gelled with it but I'm going to try wearing it for a little bit (or maybe it's just buyer's remorse). It's 33mm with 18mm lugs and the clincher, for me, was that the striping on the bezel is fairly intact. A signed crown is a bonus.
    [​IMG]

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 16, 2017

8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 16, 2017

Very nice, congrats :thumbsup:--thanks @Larry S for drawing my attention to it.... I too like those UFO watches!
    (too many nice watches to admire!)

9. Jonatan Jan 28, 2017

Nice one @Carlton-Browne. I've read the thread from the start and can only admire your dedication. If you decide that it's not for you, please le me know, i could be interested. Until then, could you share some brighter pictures? Thanks.

10. Carlton-Browne Jan 30, 2017

These are all I have at the moment and I'll be in touch if I decide to move it on but don't hold your breath. I actually need to get it working first.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]