Forums Latest Members
  1. lunatoon Oct 29, 2014

Hi all
    I am a newbee looking for a Speedy Reduced Automatic (I have 6.5" wrists) as I have tried on a Professional Numbered Edition and felt far too large.!

Is there anything I need to look out for when buying a used example please?

I ham hoping to locate a watch in the UK with box and papers etc. I am not in a rush and wondered what is a fair price for a watch please?

Many thanks

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 29, 2014

The speedy reduced is not really considered a speedmaster, and has not got a strong following to support the price.

So the cost of servicing to value is proportionately very high, and so many are uncared for.

in addition for some models, the servicing is challenging even for experienced watchmakers.

If your heart is set on one, good luck - just be sure you discover before you buy one what you are getting into or there will be disappointment.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 29, 2014

The Speedmaster Date, Speedmaster MK40, Speedmaster Racing (Cal 3330 powered) are all great options in a smaller size than the Speedmaster Pro, the reduced is just the lame duck of the bunch as mentioned above, mainly due to its less than ideal movement and is no longer in production.

I'd particularly have a close look at the Speedmaster Date (7750 based) and the Speedmaster Racing (Co-Axial Calibre 3330).

4. lunatoon Oct 29, 2014

Thanks guys that is a great help.

I dont want a watch with a poor movement that is hard to service. It is a shame as I wanted the classic Speedmaster look!

Does the 42mm Automatic have the same poor movement please?(the watch does have a flatter back which may be ok)

Is the ladies Speedmaster Date with a dark grey dial with the smaller case worth cosidering please guys?

I may have to go for the ful size watch so would you recommend the Pro or is the numbered edition a better investment please?

Sorry to ask sooo many questions but you have got me started lol!

Thanks again

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 29, 2014

Which 42mm automatic? The 39mm reduced is the only one with the piggyback movement. The 42mm Pro Moonwatch tends to be the safest bet, but the smaller case Speedmaster Date is a great watch too, its not really a ladies model per se, its just a mid sized model.

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 29, 2014

7. Traveler Oct 29, 2014

I also have 6.5 inch wrists and have never had any qualms about wearing the full size speedy pro - it wears great, and to me doesnt look out of place at all, whether on strap or bracelet... I would definitely go for that.

8. lunatoon Oct 29, 2014

This just demonstrates my complete lack of knowledge on the subject! I wrongly thought there was a full size 42mm watch that looks like the Pro model but with an automatic movement.

Is the Numbered edition case much smaller than the Pro?

9. Poday Oct 29, 2014

If you like the look of the Pro, get the Pro. The other pieces mentioned are nice, and may also be something you will purchase in the future, but share very little cosmetically with the Pro.

And by today's standards, 42mm is not a large watch, I have a feeling it would look just fine on your wrist. And I have a feeling that if you buy a MK40 or any other variant, you'll end up with a Pro in the future anyway. Happened to me...