Forums Latest Members
  1. 2nd Mouse gets the cheese every time! Oct 23, 2014

Sorry about all the questions, but you folks have the knowledge. It's probably a curse, sometimes.

Anyway, per this thread, I was wondering if the same things apply to this watch:

[​IMG]

Here's the ebay auction:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/361087003292?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I will cop to every noob weakness--fondness for black dials, really taken with clean, sparkly (polished?) cases, etc. This one seems to fall prey to these and many of the issues in the other thread--too polished, refinished dial, etc., so I'm quite sure it's not something a collector would purchase, but wanted to get your input.

Many thanks for your time!

Cheers.

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 23, 2014

Poor example - overpolished case with a refinished dial and replaced hands and crown.

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 23, 2014

Now that that's settled, I only have one question.

What happened to the 1st Mouse?::confused2::

88cut likes this.
  4. 2nd Mouse gets the cheese every time! Oct 23, 2014

[​IMG]
    It was not pretty.

Mothra and Darlinboy like this.
  5. Mothra Oct 24, 2014

Mouse, if you like the look and just want something to wear, fill your boots.

Just bear in mind no collector will ever want it, the movement will not be in the same condition, and YOU WILL KNOW ITS NO LONGER ORIGINAL AND IT WILL MOST LIKELY EAT AWAY AT YOU...

6. Wongo Oct 24, 2014

Your loss sellers gain but the loss will be for quite a while if you want your money back.

RawArcher likes this.
  7. John R Smith Oct 24, 2014

Mouse

The problem is, that you won't find something that looks as bling and glossy as this in a genuine vintage piece. Even the best condition vintage watch will have some patina, the shine will have dulled, and a black dial will now look more like dark grey. So if a new look is what you want from a watch, then you really are better off actually buying a new one which will in its turn age gracefully as you wear it.

Fretworker, lando and rhetoric like this.
  8. 2nd Mouse gets the cheese every time! Oct 24, 2014

Good points all, and thanks. The trouble with buying a new one is that I'm a bit of a throwback, have a fondness for mechanical wind watches and haven't seen anything new that's as attractive (to me) as the vintage stuff. And while the polished up sheen of some of the re-done items has some appeal, the patina and dulled shine are often more attractive (to me). I saw this thing over on another site...

[​IMG]

...which I find much more interesting than the one in the original post above, and I'd assume it might have some collectible value. It looks like this one's been sold, so the search continues.

Thanks again.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 24, 2014

I don't think that one has an original dial. But otherwise looks like a nice watch.
    gatorcpa