Forums Latest Members

Advice for Androidphone user who considering switch to iPhone

1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 6, 2015

With disappointing Samsung Galaxy S6 specs announcement and iPhone 6 plus has adopted big screen which easy on my eyes, now I consider to migrate to iOS.

However I heard horror story from Android user who move to iOS how 'everything iTunes' makes their life difficult. For example moving files from smartphone to Laptop ( I am a MS-window user which will not consider to move to Mac anytime soon), or organizing files etc.

Please for android users out there who has switched to iPhone (or switch back from iPhone to Android again) let me know the Pros and Cons. I live in environment where mobile internet connection is patchy and I dont have other Apple product.

Thanks.

2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 6, 2015

I'm now using a Nexus 6. Appears to be just a tiny bit bigger than my wife's iPhone 6+. I had an iPhone for one year several years back.

Biggest perk I like is using google hangouts, as I can see texts on my cell and computer.

Privateday7 likes this.
  3. eustace Mar 6, 2015

Hi, just curious, what "disappointing specs" do you speak of?

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 6, 2015

Get a BlackBerry!

;)

OmegaRookie, Privateday7 and scook94 like this.
  5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 6, 2015

Just for context: I have a BBA/MBA in MIS and the average 5 year old South Korean kid knows substantially more about tech than I do. BTW: the company I founded in 1998 still provides all security to Apple for the entire NYC tri-state metro area. #humblebrag.

I'm getting an iphone6 for no other reason than the powerful new practical security / privacy controls.

6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 7, 2015

You may want to try the lgg3, great phone.

I currently have both an android and iPhone 6 because of work. android is a superior system if you are a tinkerer. iPhone is a simpler and more streamlined phone but it's advantages do thin out considerably if you're not Mac user. I am a Mac user on all computers except at work, and I love that messages, calls, FaceTime etc can be taken on any of the computers or tablets as one.

In terms of compatible forusic duplicate your iTunes music on Google play, in terms of files best choice is to use Dropbox and then download outlook for IOS ( formerly accompli) which is a far superior email client that allows pulling files from different sources for attachments etc, among other advantages.

You will initially feel a little frustrated at the lack of costumizable options on iPhone, then you'll get used to it and appreciate the simplicity of having less choices.

If you're a visual person that likes to always have different displays and options stay on android.

Just my opinion. Full disclosure I use the iPhone as personal phone now because I love the hardware design and size of the 6 ( 6 plus is too big for me) my wife hates iPhone and loves her android.

7. proximal Mar 7, 2015

This is why I switched from iPhone to Android last November. Used iPhones for 5 years and would always have to look up how to transfer stuff- I could never remember and it's not intuitive at all. Also the constant giant updates to iTunes are tiring. If you don't plug your phone into your computer a lot (which I didn't, because iTunes was difficult to use), it basically asks to download a several hundred mb update every time you actually need to do something.

I got a Sony Z3 Compact if you're wondering; both it and the full size Z3 are great phones if you're not into the latest Samsung offerings.

rhetoric, Privateday7 and Nobel Prize like this.
  8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 7, 2015

Start with inability to switch battery and add micro SD. Then low battery capacity for such high spec screen.....

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 7, 2015

I had been there. Would not go back in near future :D

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 7, 2015

11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 7, 2015

I am not really a tinkerer but I know I will not move my laptop and tablet to Apple ecosystem anytime soon. Smartphone is now center of universe for many people. So I feel it is a big decision for me to move.

Thanks for LG G3 suggestion. I'll check it with Z3 experia.

12. alam Mar 7, 2015

ugh? really? something out there besides iPhones and Macs?? ::confused2::::confused2::

Privateday7 likes this.
  13. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 7, 2015

This is what I am afraid. In Jakarta or other city in Indonesia we have patchy internet connection and ability to quickly transfer files between smartphone and my laptop without depending with dropbox etc. is crucial.

14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 7, 2015

Thanks. Constant updates on critical app like iTunes certainly will put me off because bad internet connection will multiply the hassles.
    Certainly I will check full size Z3. I need big screen :( because I hate switching eyeglasses so compact Z3 is out of my option. I'll also see LG G3 and even the market flop Galaxy S5.

15. eustace Mar 7, 2015

Point taken... so instead, you propose to switch to a iOS phone where you can't switch the battery or add a micro SD card? Hmm...

I used to believe I had to have those features too. I have a Galaxy S5 and I almost never run out of charge in a day. The damn phone charges so fast that I can top up when I'm in the office or car. I have an extra battery just cuz I can, and I never use it. Also, I think the point of no extra SD card is to get people to use cloud storage.

Good news for you. You have freedom of choice. Go get em.

16. Baco Noir Mar 7, 2015

My only beef with the iPhone is no SD card to expand memory. But since I travel with my iPad too, my full music library is there and I get around the limited memory on my iPhone by using dropbox to backup photos and then delete them off the phone every few months when I run out of memory on the phone.

The iPhone is much simpler to set up than my past Droid phones and when I replace it in the future, I won;t have to spend a full day downloading apps, setting up home screens and configuring e-mail accounts like I have in the past with the Droids.

17. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 7, 2015

Exactly.......if Galaxy has followed iPhone step, why not switch altogether?

It seems Galaxy S5 might be a good candidate too if I dont want to switch to iOS

18. scook94 Mar 8, 2015

Are you referring to the Samsung or the iPhone? ;)

19. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 8, 2015

:p

20. Muttley Mar 8, 2015

Interesting thread, and probably the first one I've seen that hasn't degenerated into name calling and fanboi-ism on either side. Nice.
    My opinion aligns with what others have already said - get an Android if you like the power to customize or tinker, get an Apple if you just want a phone that pretty much does as advertised and does it well. Example: I have a Nexus 5 which is 'rooted' to allow me to run applications that give me more control over functions I want to use from the main screen or from the lockscreen (one touch options to turn on/off hot spot, location, wifi, bluetooth, etc...), and file explorers that allow easy file transfers between PC and phone. I upgraded to Lollipop OS when it came out and found it was not a very good user interface, and broke some of the applications I was using. So I just downloaded a stock ROM and flashed it back to the previous OS (KitKat). It has been working perfectly since. Try taking an iPhone back to the previous version if you're not happy with the new one. Once it disappears off the App store (usually a few days after the new iOS is released) you're outta luck.
    My wife uses an iPhone (4s) and loves it - everything works how she likes it and it's very intuitive to use. She doesn't really touch iTunes so there's no problems with that side of things. We don't have other Apple devices (except an old iPod4) so the beauty of keeping things synced doesn't feature.
    Oh, and as far as the 'no SD card' path that Android phone makers are sadly following Apple's lead - it just looks like greed. Look at the difference in price between a 16Gb iPhone 6 and a 128Gb iPhone 6, then look at the cost of a 128Gb SD card. Bear in mind there's no difference between the 16Gb and 128Gb iPhone except the memory size, yet the difference in price of the phone is far more than the cost of a 128Gb SD card. You might argue that the built in memory is higher quality than an off the shelf SD card, but I haven't heard of a huge wave of failed SD cards (and even high quality ones aren't that expensive). An added bonus for the phone makers would be pushing users into more cloud storage, so they win both ways if they have their fingers in online storage (e.g. Apple cloud, and Google Drive).
    Bottom line - I think Apple can't be beaten on seamless integration if you run an Apple-centric environment, but if you need to customise or adapt things to suit you or your circumstances, Android phones offer more flexibility.

Baco Noir and Nobel Prize like this.