Forums Latest Members

Adding Patina, another Speedmaster dial experiment..

1. photo500 Nov 23, 2014

Hi All,
    So with half a day free I set about another dial ageing experiment. This time on a Broad Arrow 57 replica dial for the 1861. In the spirit of keeping everyone informed about what is possible there are some photos below.

It was interesting to see that this test yielded the smooth almost satin finish to the dial itself that some of the originals show. The black has turned a very deep dark brown. I suspect the colour change to the hour markers might be a bit too much. The dial had some marks on it and was not new to begin with.

The pics show it next to a 50th anniversary dial that is original. What do you guys think?

Btw, I do not disclose how I've done this for good reason ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speedyfan Nov 23, 2014

Pretty cool, does the Luminova still glow?

3. photo500 Nov 23, 2014

Yes it does still glow and is even, although probably not as bright as before.

4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Nov 23, 2014

Looks good. I would not be surprised if many of the Brown/tropical dial Speedmasters were "generated" in a similar way.
    Perhaps one difference between a naturally-aged versus force-aged dial would be in the uniformity of the result?

5. photo500 Nov 23, 2014

Joe, I guess that's what I'm trying to find out. Although I've got a drawer full of brown Mark II dials that got that way naturally I'm sure. They are very even too. With this particular method it would be possible to add some unevenness to the finish.

6. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Nov 23, 2014

Interesting. In the past I experimented with exposing dial to UV source. Results were uneven "aging/deterioration". These were not Omega speedmaster dials, so the conclusions are not likely relevant.

7. pascs Nov 23, 2014

Possibly a little too dark but when fitted with a set of matching hands it should look great

8. mozambique Nov 23, 2014

Just a thought.............maybe there is no such thing as a 'tropical' dial and they are all artificial, or maybe I have been watching too many low budget conspiracy docs on Netflix?

9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 23, 2014

That's what I am scared of.....

MaiLollo and Seaborg like this.
  10. mozambique Nov 23, 2014

Very interesting area of 'research'. I had vaguely wondered whether a tropical dial could be replicated using some combination of heat and UV. The laws of physics / chemistry says that this should be the case, as witnessed by your pics

11. mozambique Nov 23, 2014

Ha!
    Just gotta find another way of producing a different coloured weathered dial and we are away to the $$$$!

12. mozambique Nov 23, 2014

$1k for a vintage dial with patina on ebay must get all the budding DIY alchemists conjuring up magical potions

13. photo500 Nov 23, 2014

Don't worry Space, I think there is more than enough evidence of one owner watches with tropical dials to say that real ones do exist. The trouble is just like with faded and spider web Rolex parts, they start to become a commodity which encourages exactly what I've done.

I wouldn't be comfortable selling these without making it very clear they aren't showing the genuine effect of age and marking them will a "tell". The only watch I've made so far with an aged dial (1968 Speedmaster ) has a mark on the reverse of the dial for that very reason.

I don't want to add to the problem but there is a demand for that look. For example, all the Speedmaster's sent to Omega for servicing that come back with new dials and hands with the originals chucked in a bag and damaged by the return trip.

14. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Nov 24, 2014

that can be achived by aging the lume with any sort of colour and apply a new coat of matte` spray varnish. heat does not turn speedy dials brown. kind regards. achim

15. photo500 Nov 24, 2014

Actually Achim, others have shown that they do turn brown in the oven. Both the luminous and the dial itself. As far as I know, no paint or spray was used in those cases. Neither were they used in this experiment ;)

16. Dash1 Nov 24, 2014

Original brown aged dials definitely exist imo, I bought a nice 105.003 one direct from the original owner for not much money a few years ago. Although I do wonder how it happens naturally as this guy lived in the UK all his life (not exactly tropical) and there was no sign of other ageing factors.

17. bill5959 Nov 24, 2014

I've always wondered about the use of "tropical". It obviously came from somewhere but I think brown or chocolate is more accurate, given the various climes etc these watches were held in. Regards, bill

18. pitpro Likes the game. Nov 24, 2014

The Dial doesn't look Brown to me.
    Just the plots
    Certainly not what is considered "Tropical"
    Just more like 'old'

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 24, 2014

Most certainly it can be done in the oven - some Panerai guys have been doing this for years.

D.D. likes this.
  20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 24, 2014

Yes my sister used to make these when we were kids, I suppose it helped develop an early interest in watches.

easybake-contest.jpg