Forums Latest Members
  1. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jul 22, 2014

Hi all,

While I myself don't feel vintage, I think asking about Omegas from 1980 probably count as such.

I would like at some point to get a watch from 1980, my birth year. I am just looking around at the moment so am open to all Omegas, although preferably not quartz, and I'm more inclined towards a Speedmaster, but only because I don't have one yet.

For example, I have searched on the sales forum here for "1980" and the only one that says for certain it is from that year is this and to be honest, I'm not a big fan of the case shape, it just seems like the extra metal was chucked on to make it look bigger without adding much style. The 80s seemed like a very boxy decade. Beauty is of course in the eye of the beholder I know, but it seems like a lot of the watches from the 80s just don't look very stylish.

This isn't a WTB (yet at least), but more a want-to-see, so I was wondering if anyone can post any from 1980 so I can see what sort of thing is out there. And who knows, maybe your ugly duckling could be my white swan.

2. Mothra Jul 22, 2014

This one seems to come up a lot. It seems the early eighties was not a good time for fashion in general, and Swiss watches specifically. I think the Speedmaster is probably your best option....

Spacefruit likes this.
  3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 22, 2014

With tastes so refined as to have a tdmp as an avatar, I am afraid you are going to find it tough sledding.

How about going with your Mom's or Grandmother's birth year ??

I agree with Mothra if you are stuck in 1980

images.jpg

citizenrich likes this.
  4. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 22, 2014

Serendipity! i just found an East Asian dealer who seems to specialize in 1980 watches.

i think he bought the inventory of a defunct store and had been selling the inventory for the last 30 years.

give me a few, I'll see if I can find the link and I'll PM it to you...

5. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jul 24, 2014

Hi,

Thanks for your input so far. My first take-away from this is to try to find a happy medium between boxy and Boy George.

Cheers,
    ::beer::

6. Sherbie Jul 30, 2014

I'm sure there is a good joke in there somewhere, but i'll be buggered if I can think of one currently!

7. deerworrier Jul 30, 2014

come to New Zealand mate, you will love it. we are only just reaching 1986! the mullet is still a valid hair cut, drinking and driving Is classed as a hobby and Dav feckin Dobbin is on every bloody radio station.

on a serious note, its not a total loss. the seamaster was simple, functional and pre-jimmy prissiness too.

[​IMG]

SpikiSpikester and Tiny Iota like this.
  8. repoman Jul 30, 2014

1980 sucked, I was there.

9. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Dec 17, 2014

Considering today is my birthday, I figured I'd resurrect this thread. Still not found a nice Omega from 1980 yet, but I at least have birthday doughnuts, so its not all bad! :D

Mothra likes this.
  10. Sherbie Dec 17, 2014

Well many happy returns Tina

Still cant be tempted by a nice speedmaster pro?

This is still you best bet, as Mothra mentioned above

Cheers, Paul

11. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Dec 17, 2014

Thanks, and yes I'd love one, but its finding one from 1980 that is the issue. Granted I am still a newbie so my searches haven't really extended much beyond the usual online suspects, but no luck so far. Still, these birthday thingies seem to come around every year so there's always hope :)

12. peatnick Dec 17, 2014

At least in 1980 you could look back on the 70's, a truly awful decade!

Even though I was there I don't remember much and would be suspicious of anyone who claims to. . .