Forums Latest Members

A wonderful watch... but you still wouldn't buy it?

1. Siac Jul 4, 2014

Hi,

Is there a particular watch that you think, "yeh, well built, technically great... but, nah, not for me!"

Mine is the Seiko Grand Spring Drive (zero offense to the seller of said item on the sales page, but it did prompt this thought)

I know it's beautifully made, but it's like the Top Gear episode with the Lexus LFA. The LFA is incredible, a tech masterpiece, but when someone shouts out, "who has the Lexus" and you'd have to explain that it's the LFA, the impact has gone. Someone shouts out "who's is the Ferrari" and it's a different story.

... and that's like saying I bought a Seiko for $6000

2. deerworrier Jul 5, 2014

if your main concern when purchasing a watch is what others will think or what it will be worth when you know you will sell it as there isn't enough in the design to hold your attention for too long, then you are right to stay away from the GS range. there are lots of people who buy based on brand image and are happy to have reworked base calibres or 50yr old engineering inside and mediocre finish so long as the perceived image is there for them. others like to go a little further into the watch world and buy based on what has gone into the watch making process, if you want to own a truly inhouse watch read up on GS you may still not buy one and that's fine they certainly are not for everyone but it should give you a little insight into the reasoning behind the decision of others. for me in answer to your question, it is Panerai, I love the look of the watch but read nothing about its build, movement and quality to justify the outlay but I would never dismiss ownership of a good watch on the premise that people may not think as much of me! My GS Quartz and my MM600spring drive sit next to my Breguet and my IWCs, Omegas, Sinns, Guinand, Kobold, Rolex and Universal Geneve and hold their own rather well, in fact nothing is more accurate than my GS at +3sp year the UX is close but nowhere near as well finished.

Als 27, citizenrich and lenny like this.
  3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jul 5, 2014

::popcorn::

4. deerworrier Jul 5, 2014

sorry, spending too long on TZ-UK with the anti-GS brigade!

I'll get my coat.

5. Siac Jul 5, 2014

It's all good, part of why I asked is to learn more. My boss has a GS, and it's real nice, fantastic finish, the second hand sweep is SO smooth, great colour dial too.

Isn't part of why people buy luxury items, not just watches, the "showing off"?
    And by definition, what other people think of that luxury item?

Otherwise, case in point, you'd buy an AMC Pacer and a ten buck Timex!

Cheers

6. ulackfocus Jul 5, 2014

The only reason I'd pass on a watch that I like the looks of is the size. I've seen PLENTY of very nice pieces that are 41 mm or larger, which I just don't feel comfortable wearing. I don't even have to try them on anymore because I know they just won't look right.

Als 27 likes this.
  7. mbeast Jul 5, 2014

I love the technical aspects of Grand Seikos (especially the hi-beat derivatives) and the way things like the hands are finished and the attention to detail in general is astounding.

If I was forced to purchase a modern watch then they would be top of the list (though maybe not brand new - they don't seem to hold their value too well). There are some interesting vintage Grand Seikos as well but I find these to be a bit bland in the aesthetic department so they lose out to the likes of Omega. Maybe one day...

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 5, 2014

What you admire is not necessarily what you desire (and sometimes the other way around is true as well).

Als 27, Spacefruit and citizenrich like this.
  9. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jul 5, 2014

I would get a GS if only the logo and other features didn't look so Samurai influenced. It it has the great movement and more traditional styling of watches they really are amazing mechanical wonders.

10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 5, 2014

A perfect automotive analogue would be the Bugatti Veyron, a technological marvel for sure, but there are plenty of other cars I'd rather drop a million plus dollars for...

Georgieboy58 and Northernman like this.
  11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jul 5, 2014

I admire Speedy DSOTM: highly innovative case material, state of the art movement, superb design...........but I desire the lowly tech, often in scratched case & bezel, aging dial, unreliable waterproof Speedy CK 2915.

12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 5, 2014

Works the other way too, in vintage. There are many a spectacular watch which checks all the boxes, but 30mm diameter - not wearable. A few Movado chronographs and that Gallet with the oval movement recently ran afoul of the size criterion.

13. Alex_TA Jul 6, 2014

My PO 8500 began to seep water after half a year. I changed it for AT, beautiful watch which I keep from water. And what I ordered in place of diver?
    This:

[​IMG]

Event horizon and deerworrier like this.
  14. amblin Jul 17, 2014

Well it seems seiko is well aware of the 'namesake' problem and they've been nursing the 'Credor' brand for quite a few years.

And there's the ~$400,000 flagship spring drive minute repeater. Magnificent innovative movement , top class craftsmanship and superb sound.

But.... It's still a seiko, it's understandable most people can't get over it. And would buy a Breguet, or a Patek.

15. Siac Jul 18, 2014

Agreed, a lot of it is brand snobbery, I accept that, but whether right or not, that's the strength of a brand (or brand marketing)... what would you rather say?

1. "this was my father's Breitling/Omega/Rolex, PP"

or

2. "this was my Father's Seiko... but it's the one with the flagship spring drive minute repeater, magnificent innovative movement, top class craftsmanship and superb sound, no really it is, truly, it was the expensive one, not the cheap one"

Doesn't have the same "je ne sais quoi", really, does it! :)

16. deerworrier Jul 18, 2014

the most commonly used execution of the phase I have heard is "it was my fathers watch." end of, it would seem quite apparent you have some brand/acceptance issues regarding your purchases. if you don't like them please feel free not to buy them. I don't rate TAG so I don't buy them, if I saw one I liked I would read a little about it and make a decision based on my new knowledge. same would be said for Panerai and a few others. personally I have never explained to anyone the Seiko on my wrist was the expensive one or the one that is way more accurate than the other watches in my box which cost 3 or 4 times the Seiko, why? because I have never felt the need to justify a purchase and i have never been asked.

i cant help but feel im feeding a troll here but stick to the Swiss names you think offer you the best feel good factor. if you choose to do no reading or research other than to stick barbed comments on forums looking for a rise (something i think i have just fallen into) then i see no point in the thread.

17. Siac Jul 18, 2014

Ouch, bit harsh... only last week we were politely discussing buying your UG but unfortunately the duty and VAT took it past my budget. Hardly trolling behaviour, eh? Would have been my 2nd purchase.

So Seikos don't float my boat on a predominantly "swiss" forum... surprise!

18. bieb1 Jul 18, 2014

I think the original question was "a wonderful watch....but you still wouldn't buy it" and I am sure each of us would be able to name a few based on personal preferences. But if we are talking about "my father's watch" I can assure you that I would be wearing it with pride, irrespective of the brand.

19. Siac Jul 19, 2014

Yes bieb1, that's very true, and perhaps I wrongly stated that sentiment. Thanks.

20. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 19, 2014

What if you're Japanese and aren't familiar with French cliches?

Grand Seiko peeps are a bit like those guys who build their own computers with 10 terabyte hd's and make fun of people who buy Apples for retail.