Forums Latest Members

A Couple Of Photos Of My First Omega, Seamaster 300m Chrono

1. Cydonia May 22, 2013

Yesterday was the day that I finally made up my mind regarding my first Omega purchase, a black-dialed version of the Seamaster 300m chrono (ref 213.30.42.40.01.001 though I guess people here do know their Omegas :D) and actually at the same time also my first "real" watch purchase. I'll include a bit of my background story here before and in between the photos.

I had decided that I'd get myself a graduation present, as I finally got my MSc degree 3 years ago (long years of studying and more of working-so-much-that-wasn't-able-to-study, but that's not essential to the story, hehe) - a quality/luxury watch. Back then I had no actual idea, what I was looking, only that it should be "affordable", as there was family to be fed, mortgages to be paid and all the basics. Of course, saving up the budget took a bit time, as I had close to none saved at the point of graduation - here goes a big thank you to everyone who appreciated my wishes for a graduation present, which was backing up my watch budget, or rather initializing it.

[​IMG]

I did some research already back then, but mostly left it slumbering while I slowly started saving up money. Having 2 sons born less than 2 years apart (October 2010 and July 2012) the emphasis really was on "slowly". Finally, early this year, the sum I had saved up was starting to resemble something that could buy me a watch. That's when I started doing more thorough research - visiting local ADs of different brands, checking brand websites, reading through different watch forums, all the usual. Omega as a brand wasn't a real contender at first: my initial feeling was that it was out of my reach at this point, as I was mostly looking for watches below 2000€ (roughly $2600 or £1700 for non-euro talkers).

[​IMG]

What I quickly realized was that images on the internet, be it on brand website or on a forum, tell only half of the truth, if even that. You really need to see the watch in person, sitting on your wrist. I had quite a lot of situations, when I had been looking for some models online and liked them quite a lot, and then went to the AD to check them out ... only to find out that in real life they were not at all suitable for me. And of course vice versa, some models that had been bland-looking online, were a totally different story when seen in person.

Luckily I was in no hurry to do the purchase, even though the anticipation grew stronger every week. After all, I had waited already for 3 years, so it wouldn't hurt to wait for a bit longer to find "the one" for this moment. On the other hand, I really wanted to get myself that first real watch. Anyway, one day when visiting the local Omega AD, looking for other, a bit cheaper brands, the dealer showed me also some Omegas. They started growing on me pretty quickly, and I realised that I'd better spend a couple of hundred euros more to get myself something I would really like, than stay in my original budget and settle with "the next best choice". And, after all, the 300m chrono diver is - luckily for me - from the more affordable end of Omegas collection.

[​IMG]

Fast forward a month or two of saving up a bit more money, trying to decide what model would suit me best at this time, pondering, reading reviews, frustration... I had decided that ok, 300m chrono diver with blue dial would be my choice. A week or two back I went to the local AD to try it out in person, only to find out that they didn't have neither it nor this black-dialed one available: they had sold it like a week or two before. They did have the blue-dialed GMT version, which I tried on, and really loved. But I wanted to get my hands on the chrono as well, before making the decision... Then, yesterday the AD called me to tell me that now they have the chrono - with black dial. Ok, it wasn't the blue dial I had been hoping for, but anyway I wanted to go and see this one in person, as I'd get a feeling what the chrono dial looks like.

Bang.

I was pretty much sold when it landed on my wrist. Had to try to mask my feelings, though I believe the dealer saw pretty much right through me. A bit of haggling (their initial offer, my counter-offer, their final offer, sold) and off I went with a new Omega piece on my wrist. Got it for decent price in my opinion - don't know about forum guidelines so won't tell it right away, but if it's ok to discuss, I can share the details.

That's the story in short, hopefully I didn't bore everyone to death :) And apologies for the picture quality - I'll still have to learn watch photography. Given the age of my sons, there's not too much time for that activity though... The ones included were taken in the short time I had available yesterday, so no fancy settings here. First 3 photos that didn't fail miserably, enough for starters.

nadjr and Robert-Jan like this.
  2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 22, 2013

I really like the black red white combo in this model (IMO better than the blue one for chrono, but that's personal taste). I think you score the right watch.....Congratulations, definitely a worthy candidate for your first 'quality/luxury' watch.

Nice pictures,too. My early picture trials were far worse compare to your picture quality.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 22, 2013

Great pics mate! Still have my blue version of this piece (2225.80)

4. pascs May 22, 2013

I really nice combination. Congratulations on your first Omega purchase................it may not be the last :D

5. Cydonia May 22, 2013

Thanks! And yeah, I also already presume that this won't be my last Omega :D

I already started thinking about getting a vintage Speedmaster Professional (1977, fairly easy to guess the reason for that particular vintage I believe?) but getting the right one will probably take a while. Of course, a brand new Speedy Pro would also be a nice one and a whole lot faster to acquire!

And yesterday when I was leaving the AD, I took a look at a couple of more "dressier" ATs on leather strap (non-chrono, one with black dial, another with white dial and golden markers/hands). Such a watch would complement my diver pretty well to be used in more formal situations.

But let's see, got to keep saving a bit first :)

6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist May 22, 2013

Good looking watch, congrats! If you're like me, you'll start using your sons as a rationale for collecting... I mean, don't you wish your dad had handed down a few cool watches? And you don't want them fighting over watches, so best to double up on the nice ones. ;)

7. OttawaMan May 22, 2013

Great story. Great watch. The challenge of waiting so long to save the funds for it allowed you to make the right choice for you and I'm sure provides a real feeling of satisfaction for the work you put in earning that watch. I just bought the black non-chrono and personally think you made the right choice of black over blue. IMHO the blue is sportier and less formal. (not that there's anything wrong with that) I wanted something that would go well with a suit or tux and I think the black screams class!

I too found that surfing the web vs. taking the watch for a test drive totally changed my mind. I was dead set on getting a TAG...partly because I didn't think I could talk my wife into the Omega price range. But after trying on the TAGs and trying on the Omega...I knew I would always say "..wish I got the Omega." I didn't want to compromise...and obviously you didn't either. Congrats!

Cydonia likes this.
  8. Nick F 05 May 22, 2013

Congratulations on the purchase. I think this is a real beauty.

I have an AT and think you will enjoy that edition to your collection.

9. ulackfocus May 22, 2013

Black and red might be the coolest color combo for a chronograph. :thumbsup:

10. Cydonia May 22, 2013

Thanks again everyone!

MMMD - Yeah, I believe that's what is going to happen.. after all, how could I leave one of the sons without a certain classic watch :D And good way to sell the idea to the wife!

OttawaMan - Sounds like you had really similar experience! TAG was also one of my first contenders, but somehow all of the models I tested felt a bit like a compromise. Not that they were of poor quality, but still lacked ... something. Also, good point on black being more formal than blue. After all, at this point I'll have only one watch, and even though it is a diver chrono (quite sporty watch, a bit busy dial compared to non-chrono etc) it will still go pretty nicely with a suit. Of course it can't beat a real dress watch, but until I can get my hands on one...

ulackfocus - Can't argue with you here, at least not now :) And what I like about this watch is that the red is still quite subtle, not too overwhelming, yet a really nice detail on already really nice watch.

11. OttawaMan May 22, 2013

A bit of sport with a suit can look good. Subtly saying " at any given moment....I may go kill a shark!" Kinda like that Most Interesting Man in the World guy in the Dos Equis beer commercials...enjoy the watch....

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 22, 2013

Congratulations. We love stories....provided you supply the required photo, so you fulfilled all requirements . :thumbsup:
    Your story sounds a lot like mine when I got my first real watch 21 years ago.

13. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday May 24, 2013

Congrats with your nice Seamaster Pro Chrono Diver Cydonia. Nice story to read as well.

Good luck with your hunt for that Speedy Pro or AT. I have the same year of birth as you do and I searched for years for a '77 Speedmaster. It seems that they are either from '76 or '78/'79 :) Never found a '77 model. I ended up with a '79 model in great condition but will trade it as soon as a '77 comes by. :)

RJ

14. dhistory May 7, 2014

[​IMG]

You made a great choice for the price point.