Forums Latest Members
  1. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 1, 2014

Good points but my problem with this watch is it is worn out all around - not just the dial but the case and bezel as well.

Agreed on NOS - don't wear my examples. But that's why in addition to my NOS 2998-1 I have a tropical dial 2998-1 that I am able to wear. May not be obvious from the photo but this one definitely has a chocolate dial:

[​IMG]

Thommas, sulaco, miccro and 5 others like this.
  2. michael e Still learning. Oct 1, 2014

What do you mean by different forum Mike? The place where it is being sold?
    Thanks Mick

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 1, 2014

Yes eBay vs. AQ.

4. michael e Still learning. Oct 1, 2014

I have often wondered why auction houses like Antiquorum, Christies and Sotherby's etc seem to attract higher bids than eBay.

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 1, 2014

Because of the "vetting" of the watches and the access of these places to high net worth individuals who are repeat customers. I know a few vintage watch enthusiasts who have deep pockets who only go to these three places for their watches (plus dealers) and totally avoid eBay.

watchyouwant likes this.
  6. bill5959 Oct 1, 2014

I think there is Ebay and then there is Ebay. How do you vet sellers in some places? Sometimes paypal is not enough..

7. Psych Oct 1, 2014

Particularly when there is no extra 25% buyer's premium to pay on top of the hammer price.

The eBay watch actually looks like a more convincing chocolate than the AQ one to me. But there must be something that Spacefruit and others can see in the dial that doesn't attract or draw them in quite the same way. Ageing watch dials are like works of Art in this regard and it's a shame that the markets for both get distorted by investors.

Spacefruit, JohnSteed and citizenrich like this.
  8. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Oct 1, 2014

do not forget, that auction houses play a big role in money laundering. and there is plenty of cash around. the invoice makes it legit. the price is not important.
    on a lighter note: got a local phone call this week from a money lender. old omega speedmaster..... interested? yes, I was interested and dropped by very quickly. had to conceal my surprise..... early 2998-4 with lollipop hand. old pulsometer scale. even serviced 3 yearsa ago...... and , yes, I bought it. have 2 lolli pop`s now. have to sell one. or not..... so, there is always hope to find that special watch in your life ! kind regards. achim

sulaco, NiklasARvid, ock2915 and 4 others like this.
  9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 1, 2014

Dibs!!!!!

10. bill5959 Oct 1, 2014

double dibs!!!!!!!!!!

11. bill5959 Oct 1, 2014

Achim, Interesting comment about money laundering. When I did counterfeiting work we had hard knowledge that organized crime was complicit in all sorts of 'legal" activities. What seems different to me is the scale of money here. Maybe if you launder little and just little/often enough you can stay out of harm's way away from the big boys. It all adds up. Best Bill

12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 1, 2014

If there were a dislike button, i'd press it.

miccro and ICONO like this.
  13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 1, 2014

Actually i think it is possible that this was a good looking watch?

Yes I would be a strong buyer for this, but I would be stronger for a NOS. I might just be one of those rare people who see the value on both, enough to actually try to buy.

miccro likes this.
  14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 1, 2014

The auction houses are pretty tough now with their money anti-laundry protocols.

All customers have to be identified, and payments to and from must be using bidders/sellers named accounts.

Gone are the days when half a dozen of us would stand at the back of Christies bidding in various partnerships, and arguing who would take the bill later.

In fact Chisties HK dont let you stand up at all.....

FabCo likes this.
  15. Hijak Oct 4, 2014

I've seen this often at car auctions.:rolleyes:

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 4, 2014

I think he's more meaning sometimes passion and desire overcomes financial sensibility which I wouldn't disagree with, its happened to me enough times and even when I've overpaid I've done so happily.

17. JM251 Oct 5, 2014

It's an admittedly brash comment that to the extent I was referring to this particular auction I'll retract since in hindsight I'm not so sure how much ego and the 'beating the pack' mentality plays into the remote nature of internet auction bidding behavior. In any case, the watch was driven to this price so there must have been some support for it at this level. Just can't help but think 23k was a fluke based on the collective wisdom here.

Dablitzer likes this.
  18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 5, 2014

You and your famous nuclear bid option :D