Forums Latest Members
  1. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 28, 2014

here some pics of my 2998-1 with domed dial. The last pic (with Brown strap) in comparison with another 2998-1 with the very slight step. Hardly visible though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JohnSteed likes this.
  2. timeismoney Apr 28, 2014

Oh man, you guys are killing me...

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 28, 2014

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 28, 2014

I got the image...a 2998-62....but it is important to read the comments on the site
    image.jpg

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 28, 2014

-1 with "chocolate" dial. Have a second much nicer -1 but not quite ready to unveil that one yet...

[​IMG]

blackwatch, BASE1000 and JohnSteed like this.
  6. JohnSteed Apr 28, 2014

A really great reference, greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Comments make it clear it's easy to make one of these from parts and difficult to know, if not disclosed. [ good to know point ]. I find myself asking some sellers if constituent part are original to that watch. More often so far, they aren't certain ( not comforting ).

Domed v Stepped Dial a bit difficult to see clearly though ...

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 28, 2014

It it is my experience that sellers know very little of the minutiae of speedmasters, let alone 2998's.

My position is, and remains, that sellers have absolutely no idea if a watch is original. They simply cannot know, except in rare circumstances.

That said, I for one, am going on information gathered from multiple sources, often with little first source confirmation, combined with observation and intuition. So I am quite prepared to accept my assumptions or propositions may be incorrect.

If I can ascertain what a watch should have looked like when it left the factory, that's a start. If the watch deviates even by one small part, I go on alert.

For example, the slotted movement ring on the OP watch was not to my knowledge produced in 1959 watches, so someone replaced it. To replace it the whole movement came out........and what else?

JohnSteed likes this.
  8. JohnSteed Apr 28, 2014

This level of analysis would seem required by the cost of these babies IMHO we're asked to pay.

As it turns out, some/all OF members may be among the few that care in this manner down to this level of detail. I prefer to know, best as possible, what I'm buying. Trying to learn, I am, the intricacies of these PLTs

9. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 28, 2014

I am not sure if the approach of collecting a watch only if it is in condition as if it left the factory, is the right aApproach for Omega collectors.
    All who are more into that Speedmaster collecting, know how neglient Omega was on all Levels in the 60ies. The very early and most collectible Speedys were almost completely produced in outsource circumstances at Lemania in Orient. Omega has no reccords left from this time. The movements were produced in advance for several years to come. Hands came from this or that supplier etc.

In my opinion the main idea about collecting Speedmaster is to own examples with parts within the typical and reasonable range of the period. We know for example that only 2015's had the silver bezel from which the -3 already are mixes with the later Version. We know that the 2998-1 and -2 came with the BASE1000 bezels. We know, that the diameter of dials changed from the 105.002 to the 105.003 and so on and so on. There are many many Details that specify a certain period in each part but we will never know, if a lollipop hand was exactly on that 2998-2 from facory or not. It is impossible to know if all parts were together in this constellation. And, to be honest, this is not interesting either, because Omega just took what came in the assembly line and puted it together. We do not talk about master pieces fited together from one masters hand like a Stradivarius.

After 50 years it is almost impossible to find a watch that was in only one hand. The Hand which bought this watch like new in the store. People will tell you Storys about a watch, but they are not as much into the Details as we are, so they will even not recognize or remember if after a Service everything was as original as it was before.

Just my opinion of course.

Dash1, tinger, Darlinboy and 2 others like this.
  10. JohnSteed Apr 28, 2014

Certainly understood

11. Psych Apr 28, 2014

12. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 28, 2014

A nice one, no doubt. IMO the crown is not correct and the 2998-1 came on an 7077 and not a 7912 bracelet.....

13. JohnSteed Apr 28, 2014

This seller typically shows high pricing but I've not seen this level from them, actually. Now I will need to examine closely ...

14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 28, 2014

i think we are of the same mind, my words may be confusing. I want to own watches that are:

"Made up of parts that look as though they could have, or possibly did, leave the factory with"

i absolutely agree gree that to insist on the actual original parts is a fools errand.

JohnSteed likes this.
  15. timeismoney Apr 29, 2014

And sold...

16. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 30, 2014

maybe somebody in here? And at what price? In former times ebay showed the final price :cautious:

17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 30, 2014

So what do we think the final price?

18. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 30, 2014

just wondering about that. Did you buy it? :D

19. JohnSteed Apr 30, 2014

All I know is the listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available :rolleyes:

20. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 30, 2014

::popcorn::tell us more!