Forums Latest Members
  1. Davidt Nov 20, 2014

Just came across this early straight lug on eBay. I'll give my 'assessment' on it but I'm very much still learning, especially about these early models. As such I'm asking the question as much as I am offering an opinion.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221611368294Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

the first thing that jumps out to me is that the dial, Chrono second hand and bezel are probably from an 105.003. The hour/minute hands appear to be the shorter Seamaster ones? Im unsure of when the base 1000 was phased out but I think it should be on here?

The case looks like it's been redone and I don't know for sure if this serial is correct for an -1.

So, if the above is correct, does it make this a put together watch or a 'real' 2998-1 that has had its dial, bezel and hands changed at a service. Then again, does it matter? If it's not right, it's not right.

Spacefruit likes this.
  2. Selbo Nov 20, 2014

Looks like the dial has "T Swiss Made T". This should be "Swiss Made" only for a 2998 reference, right?

JohnSteed likes this.
  3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 20, 2014

Its a project watch.

It's really horrible.

Assessment above accurate.

The movement number and case reference go together, but frankly that's the end of its good points.

True the dial is worth money, as is the bezel - but neither have a place on this watch.

I would be surprised if this finds a home at this price.

aga79 likes this.