Forums Latest Members
  1. Brendon Sep 11, 2014

Hi all

I've been looking at this early constellation. It looks to me as if at least the second hand has been replaced, if not all the hands.

What do others think? Also interested in any other comments on the case, dial etc.

Picture isn't great resolution. It has a Cal 354 (13 mil as expected) image.jpg in what looks like good condition and the observatory looks in good nick too.

Thanks in advance!

Brendon

2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Sep 11, 2014

Sweep has been replaced as it should be the same length as the minute hand. Hard to see if there are any radium recesses in the markers and if not I would agree then hands have also been changed.

Case looks good and honest and still retains its relative sharpness of bezel and lugs.

Cheeers

Desmond

3. wwhntr Sep 12, 2014

Nice looking example, other than the hands issue. I like these also, especially the early Globemaster, non marked Constellations! Seems to me the stainless cased models are harder to come by than the gold capped or maybe even the solid gold versions.

What's your opinion on availability of stainless vs. other metals Desmond?

Does this example have white gold markers on the dial? (Cannot tell from lighting in picture.)

Another question for Desmond and others...did this reference in stainless steel come with dials that have yellow markers?

Regards,
    Keith

4. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Sep 12, 2014

Stainless are less common that goldcap in my experience. Markers may well be Rhodium over white gold or rhodium over steel. Mute point as rhodium is a more expensive metal than white gold. Yes the stainless versions also had gold applied hour markers in some versions.

regards

Desmond

5. Brendon Sep 12, 2014

A few more shots to give a better overview. Thanks for your thoughts Desmond and Keith.

Cheers

Brendon

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg