Forums Latest Members

24hrs to Decide: Is this real? Zenith Academy El Primero Calendar + Moonphase

1. Tom_Hanx Mar 27, 2014

Ticking bomb scenario - I have about 24 hrs left to call dibs on this rare bird. It is the first time I see it and seller claims this is one of only 300 ever produced. It is in NOS condition, although box does not appear to be matching. Can anyone give some pointers on this one? Caliber 410 (supposedly), blued casing...

[​IMG]

2. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 27, 2014

image.jpg I guarantee there's a certain moderator here who knows as much about the Academy as just about anyone around. His name rhymes with...booS.

Fear not, he'll find this thread!

The Zenith Academy is a cool modern watch. It reminds me of a cross between the Sonny Crockett and the Ricardo Tubbs.

good luck!

image.jpg
  3. Georgieboy58 Mar 27, 2014

I am sure it is real, after all, who would fake such a watch?
    This colour scheme seems to be really rare, I only found one more picture on google .
    Much more to be found with the white dial and bi-colour case.
    From the other pictures of the seller you can also see the movement, which is also the real thing obviously.
    But as stated above already, LouS will probably know even more about it, so wait for day time in the US:).

4. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Mar 27, 2014

I have seen a couple of these in two-tone steel/gold material with cal 410. Think these were made in the 1980s to early 90s. However, I can't be sure that the one you posted is legit.

5. Veritas99 Mar 27, 2014

It's real. Model 75.6000.410, Steel and blue titanium nitrid. It has 30M water resistance and retailed for 1,290 pounds sterling in January 1990. I'd post the catalog picture, but I'm late for work.

6. Veritas99 Mar 27, 2014

Not perfect, but here's a photo of the watch in a 1990 catalog...
    [​IMG]

7. Tom_Hanx Mar 27, 2014

Thank you guys,

This does look like a rare bird, indeed. Gimmicky and geeky with these blued elements... Happy to hear this is not some franken but was indeed in the 90s catalogue. Will see how this goes...

Cheers for the prompt and accurate help, gentlemen - much appreciated!

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 27, 2014

Late to the party, but it's definitely real. This is the model (although not the exact reference) they gave to Charlie Vermot for saving El Primero. Great find - expect full post when you get it.

For a reason - Don Johnson wore a Primero-powered Ebel 1911 that was somewhat similar in style.

don-johnson-rolling-stone-650x700.jpg